Can't boot installer with proprietary graphics

Hi,

I

╰─λ inxi -Faz

Check you do not have fastboot enabled and secure boot

1 Like
1 Like

Could be nothing but in the system dump I'm seeing nouveau. nouveau == lock ups and death. i.e. the nVidia drivers aren't loaded/loading. This also might be because the GPU is too old for the current drivers so it's falling back. I'm not sure what the oldest GPU the drivers will support at this point.

The GTX 760 isn't supported in the latest nVidia driver (though that's not what ships with Wayfire), but the latest nVidia driver has a bunch of patches for Wayland.

The rule of don't bother trying to use Wayland with nVidia "probably" applies here.
You could try this, but :woman_shrugging: I can't install Wayfire - #16 by ForeverNoob

1 Like

Support for 470xx is coming in a future installer image.

Until then, you can install using the free driver then manually install the 470xx driver packages afterwards (you don’t need to manually configure anything, just install the packages).

2 Likes

There will be no update, that’s the point. nVidia have determined you to be irrelevant if you don’t give them more money. 750’s still supported according to their support page.

Nvm, you meant for 470. Though that’s still wonky with Wayland from what I read

You can only be sure if you check the BIOS.
Thinking or believing does not help anyone here.

2 Likes

I haven’t enabled it by default. So why would I assume it automatically sets itself to something that I haven’t opted for?

Thinking or believing does not help anyone here.

You need to think for yourself @SGS . It’s clearly a graphics card related issue.

The point is folks don't want to spend days trying to help someone only for it be something they "thought" was off, but didn't check and it turns out to have been that issue (which happens enough to be irritating).

1 Like

Windows sometimes re-enables the fastboot or secure boot bios settings on some updates, so you should check just in case.

Ditto^^^

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.