Cannot boot into system

I am currently on the qtile version of Garuda Linux. Yesterday everything was working fine, didn’t modify a single file on my computer, yet this morning I was suddenly unable to even boot into the system. There is no issue getting past my bios, decrypting the drive, and then getting past the garuda screen that has options to boot to a snapshot, into the default garuda, shutdown, or restart. Once I try to actually boot into the system, however, is where I have problems.

Booting into garuda

Loading Kernel linux-lts-bmg ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

That shows up fine and then immediately drops me into emergency mode where I can login to a TTY as root and then run journalctl -xb. I do apologize for posting the output of that command as a video but I have no way of copy and pasting it to privatebin. I will also post the output of fdisk -l and lsblk.

As far as I can tell, the mount is failing but all data is still there.

journalctl -xb:
Being hosted on YouTube here.

fdisk -l and lsblk:

Again, I do apologize for the video and pictures. Any input as to how to fix this is definitely appreciated!

Also check here:

2 Likes

I, personally, can't read much.

Disk encryption?

Please no picture from terminal output. :slight_smile:

Read

please
and post

inxi -Fxxxza

as text! Even if you personally think it is unnecessary.

and
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I really hope this is a bot. As my post said previously, I cannot log in to my desktop environment and therefore have no way for posting text without manually retyping that entire journalctl or inxi -Fxxxza output.

I think the solution is just going to be to ditch garuda altogether and install mainline arch.

1 Like

Kind of... :laughing: Please, don't be offended just for that. We came up of using copy/pasted content due to human resources shortcomings. :man_shrugging:

I think I agree (it's difficult to see the small text with confidence...), cannot remount read-write after btrfs error.
Either FS or disk errors out.

If it is a new installation, maybe you could re-install, doing a proper check on the drive for errors.
I can't think of something else that relates to Garuda.
Had you updated your system properly after 1st boot?

if you have internet you can use netcat and termbin to pipe to web.
Example:

cat /var/log/pacman.log  | nc termbin.com 9999
2 Likes

I’ve had garuda installed since February and have updated my system religiously, 2 days max. Just did one yesterday before powering down for the night. The strange thing is that in the TTY it’s saying that /home/jordan doesn’t exist even though the mount points appear to be correct in the output of lsblk. Does the fact that the system is immediately dropping me into emergency mode mean the home partition is not accessible?

1 Like

I don't really have a clue. If we could read the logs, we might get an idea, but it seems too unknown for a situation.

Can you chroot with a Live ISO and get more facts?
The important is to save your data first of all, since there are suspicions for disk or FS errors. Then try troubleshooting.
That's my remote advice :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Anytime I try to ping or run some other command, it shows an error saying could not lock database: Read-only file system. I just backed up my entire computer to an external SSD not too long ago and any modified files are up on github so there’s no risk of data loss. I think I’m just going to borrow another computer to download an arch Linux iso.

1 Like

Have you not kept the Garuda installer? You may even use it as a temporary working system. :wink:

I’m actually inside the garuda live iso now but it seems like a waste of time to reinstall the OS that gave me these issues. Even if I just got unlucky, there’s a reason this happened. Maybe something about garuda doesn’t like my hardware.

It might be worth it if I could go through the installer as a way to update my system without it touching my files but I don’t know how to do that, if it could even be done.

If Arch works better for you then that's a perfectly valid option.

This is new information to the thread.

Yup, but without more information there's no way of knowing what. You're the one in front of your PC, you're the only one in control of it, and you're the only one who can actually diagnose the issue.

Something went wrong, so the question is are you going to go through the logs to try and work out why? "Bad superblock" tends to imply something to do with the filesystem.

There are also ways of sending terminal output to a paste site. I even seem to think one is included by default.

4 Likes

As suggested earlier, it seems to be either hdd or filesystem error. Although I haven't personally faced btrfs errors ( I have far more ext4 errors which are however easier and more reliable to fix ), these errors seem to be cropping up more often these days. Or is it just the fact that Garuda user-base is expanding?

That plus, many very inexperienced users trying Garuda IMO.

3 Likes

So wait - you didn't touch anything except that you did an update just before the problem started?

Did you try that?

3 Likes