Can I turn on secure boot after installation?

Hii!
First of all, Salute to the developers of Garuda..!!
It's an OP OS
So, I wanna install it in dual-boot, but it shows 'not authenticated' when I boot into the Pendrive
I know that I'll need to turn off the secure boot for that, but my question is:
'Can I turn secure boot on again after the installation is complete? Because Windows 10 won't work if I turn of secure-boot because I'm using an HP machine, so can I turn it on after installation!!??'
'Garuda will not have any problems na??
Or will it??'

Thanks in Advance

Unfortunately you can not boot into Garuda with secure boot on. You will have to find a solution to make your windows bootable without it if you want to dual boot.

1 Like

But Windows won't work without secure boot, it may get corrupted

In my Dell Windows works even without secure boot.
Last year my friend had bought a new HP laptop, I remember windows worked there too without secure boot

Hmm...
Thnx for the information!!

Actually,
My father's friend has an HP Store ( Official )
He told me that in HP,
Windows may get corrupted if Secure boot is off, lemme tell him this,
I will inform you afterwards...

Thanks again!!

No, it won't get corrupted, maybe it won't just boot, you try disabling it and if it doesn't work re-enable it. You have to do this from the BIOS

Yaa, I know that
He told me about it

Thanks again!!

First, welcome!

Are you sure? Have you tested this? I have several HP manchines and they all boot WIndows 10 without secureboot enabled.

Yes, of course you can! However, you won’t be able to boot Garuda with secureboot enabled so you will have to turn it off everytime you want to boot garuda.

1 Like

You have been told a load of rubbish
Straight from Microsoft Disabling Secure Boot

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/disabling-secure-boot

2 Likes

But will my windows get corrupted if a turn off secure boot??

No risk no fun No Future. :wink:

I've never heard of Secure Boot destroying Windows.

3 Likes

For me, Secure Boot is just an ingenious euphemism for hindering and complicating the installation of other OS/distributions.
Since M$ can also be started without secure- and fast boot, with grub, the question arises as to what is supposed to be secure about it?

And since updates from M$ always cause problems, Garuda-Linux does not support dual boot.

You should definitely read up on the subject so that you can help yourself in an emergency.

This starts with the correct backup of important data and ends with a USB stick that contains an up-to-date Garuda-Linux,

and
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all.
I don't know how I could miss this thread :blush:
The only thing I can say, without technical background, is that I've been using windows with secure boot disabled and Linux in two laptops for years with no problem at all (as far as secure boot is concerned, then windows updates are a different and funny story :wink:).
And one laptop is HP, for that matter...

Let's keep fare from Windows 11 now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
That's going to be a bit of a problem...

2 Likes

I don't think dual-booting with Windows will be much of an issue with most Linux distribution users after 11 is fully integrated. They'll simply need to make a choice: Linux or Windows? There are a few (Red Hat, et al) that have official support for Secure Boot). (Fastboot is not impacted (for Windows users, but is a stupid setting, anyway, regardless of the OS.) TPM 2.0 does not impose a problem for Linux users. Audit Mode does.

Linux users who stay dual-booting with Win 10 will continue to have Microsoft-imposed difficulties from time-to-time. Exclusivity in the name of Security.

Microsoft is founding their whole security system design based on their planned hardware requirements for Windows 11. I'm lucky enough to have a 2019 desktop machine that meets all of MS requirements, a low-end 9th Gen i5 office machine with a Win 10 Pro license. I have run numerous Win 11 Insider builds on it, and they have performed well. I have a need to run Windows now that I did not have even a year ago, so I've chosen Windows for this desktop machine.

The downside is that leaves only a 1st Gen i-Whatever laptop to run my favorite OS for over 20 years, Linux. I did parts out some additional RAM for it, now 8 gigs, but may also stick in a small SSD if it is possible. That will make a good Garuda or-otherwise-Arch machine, though I almost exclusively use the desktop rig. If I need to go somewhere, I can take my Android-based tablet.

Speaking of which, does anyone here have any hints about rooting an Android-based tablet to install Arch on it? Non-bricking hints?
:smiley:

2 Likes

The interesting question for me is if this will push more distros to try to add support for secure boot.

4 Likes

Yeah, seems like the main motto of the plan is “make 3/4 of the world’s existing machines obsolete by 2025”. We can only hope most people will do the right thing and continue using their good old hardware with software that respects it.

4 Likes

I think some may. Enough contributing users set up squawking or if they are server-oriented distribution customers, and I think you'd be safe to bet yes on your question. If their minimum hardware requirements are otherwise met.

Any new machine owners won't have to worry about it and I've heard chatter about TPM 2.0 chipset modules being available, which would be swell for corporate customers who have a large investment in their hardware infrastructure--I guess that's what it was?

1 Like

I have to shut off "Intel VMD Controller" to boot Linux which stops Windows from booting, reversing this setting then lets Windows boot but not Linux which is no biggie.
This of course is on a Lenovo Thinkbook G2 ITL which seems to run very well on Linux.

1 Like

Have you tried adding the vmd module in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilding your initrams?

6 Likes

Never thought I that. I guess that's why they pay you the big bucks!
Thanks, will try later in the week when I come back from the camp.

5 Likes