Broadcom Wi-Fi adapter not working after latest kernal (5.10) update

After latest kernal update my wi-fi isn't working. Is there any way to start wi-fi without restoring snapshots?

Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m broadcom-wl -v 6.30.223.271 -k 5.10.1-103-tkg-bmq
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.1-103-tkg-bmq (x86_64)
Error while configuring 
Consult /var/lib/dkms/broadcom-wl/6.30.223.271/build/make.log for more information.
==> Warning, `dkms install --no-depmod -m broadcom-wl -v 6.30.223.271 -k 5.10.1-103-tkg-bmq' returned 10
==> depmod 5.10.1-103-tkg-bmq

The most likely solution would be to get a working internet connection via Ethernet or Android USB phone tethering, then install the linux-lts kernel and headers. Then reboot into the LTS kernel and see if your wifi is working.

It is best to always keep the LTS kernel installed as a backup just for situations like this.

5 Likes

Thanks @tbg that works for me. I installed 5.4 lts.
And now my question is that how can I make it default? I have to manually choose kernal each time I restart system.

And also It gives and error that "sparse file not allowed". But system started successfully. Is it any serious problem?

1 Like

enable save last boot choice in garuda-boot-options and also use flat menus.

2 Likes

Well, this solved by editing,
/etc/default/grub

by

GRUB_DEFAULT='Advanced options for Garuda>Garuda, on linux-lts'

2 Likes

@pupperemeritus, Thank for your suggestion.
Yes this also is working, Before this I didn't choose option enable 'save last boot`. May be that why? I don't know . After that I check this by replacing grub file with default setting and chosing this option, this also working for me.

2 Likes

I installed linux-lts and my wifi stoped working, so i shifted back to old linux kernal 5.9.12-97-tkg-bmq and now it started working again.
Please help.

Wait until it is fixed in kernel 5.10 :smiley:

and welcome in the club :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It works in regular dragonized but not in dragonized gaming But they both use same kernel.

Now its, started working on new kernel. So you can shift back.

3 Likes

This is a very common occurance when using proprietary network drivers. Proprietary drivers will often break on an update. Generally DKMS drivers don't require rebuilding regularly, but sometimes you may need to do a rebuild of your driver after an update. If rebuilding your driver does not help, then usually testing alternate kernels is your next troubleshooting step that is required.

Please refrain from opening a help request if your network driver has broken after a recent update. The distro's timeshift rollback feature is usually enough to get your network working again if you need it up and running immediately. You can then simply avoid updating for a week or two if you'd rather not troubleshoot your issue further.

Of course you never know how long it will take to have your issue corrected by a future update, so it is usually better to troubleshoot your issue properly yourself.

If your kernel was updated there is a good possibility that is why your network driver has stopped working. The best method to troubleshoot this problem is to install and test at least three alternate kernels. You can temporarily use Android USB phone tethering (or another alternate connection method) to connect, downoad, and install alternate kernels.

As I stated, test at least three alternate kernels until you hopefully find a kernel where your networking functions correctly. The kernels I would suggest you test as a temporary solution are:

linux
linux-lts
linux-hardened
linux-zen
linux-mainline

So, again please do not open a help request regarding a network breakage until you have installed and tested at least 3 alternate kernels. It is also best practice to always have at least 2 kernels installed as a safety margin in case one kernel becomes unbootable.

3 Likes