Bottles stopped working after update

Hi, After the latest update which upgraded GTK4 from version 1:4.8.3-3 to 1:4.10.0-3, Bottles no longer worked. I had to downgrade GTK4 back to the previous version. Posted just in case anyone else needed the information.

2 Likes

What is the output if you start it manually via terminal?

2 Likes

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bottles#comment-905088

3 Likes

It attempts to starts and download on startup, but than doesn't complete and hangs at the download screen at stage 3 of downloading.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/windows/main_window.py", line 149, in set_manager
self.page_details = DetailsView(self)
File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/details.py", line 78, in init
self.view_bottle = BottleView(self, config)
File "/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/bottle_details.py", line 163, in init
self.style_provider.load_from_data(b".dragndrop_overlay { background: rgba(41, 65, 94, 0.2);}")
TypeError: Gtk.CssProvider.load_from_data() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
10:40:25 (INFO) Catalog dependencies loaded
10:40:25 (INFO) Catalog installers loaded
10:40:25 (INFO) Catalog components loaded

can confirm. If anybody wants to report that to the bottles devs...

4 Likes

I think it's a known problem, looking at the AUR comments and links to upstream.
It seems also it was already fixed but the commit was blocked due to regressions.
They keep on suggesting using the flatpak version for the moment, but a user suggested also a manual fix.

5 Likes

Probably all the people that have installed Waydroid on their computers will have the “Failed to find window.ui” problem when compiling. The solution is to uninstall python-argparse and python-pyclip, install bottles and then reinstall both python packages.

Now bottles installed, but get stucked during packages download

I get this message

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/windows/main_window.py”, line 149, in set_manager self.page_details = DetailsView(self) File “/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/details.py”, line 78, in init self.view_bottle = BottleView(self, config) File “/usr/share/bottles/bottles/frontend/views/bottle_details.py”, line 164, in init self.style_provider.load_from_data(style_data, len(style_data)) TypeError: Gtk.CssProvider.load_from_data() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)

Thanks in advance!

That being said, I don’t think reporting to official maintainers will help in this case as there is a big fat disclaimer about this particular package being unsupported.

7 Likes

That is a known upstream isssue at all.
Manually patching this packages fixes it... Bottles Devs just don't care about the AUR package.

3 Likes

Well, I don't have either python-argparse or python-pyclip installed. Sp, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Also, if I upgrade to the newest version of dxvk within bottles I get a black screen on the application, world of warcraft.
It seems to me that the solution is ditching the AUR version and going with flatpack. Will that affect the rest of Garuda or is just trial and error at this point? I know when I was using Mint they strongly advised against using flatpack for anything.

Anyway.... latest update today and all is well. GTK4 works as expected. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.