Bootloader installation error: "failed to get canonical path of /boot/efi

Hi,
I got the issue that I get a bootloader error while installing.
I installed the same OS at a friend's house 3 hours ago from the same USB, now at my PC it's giving me the error. He's got a Geforce 1050, ran it with Nvidia Firmware, I got a GTX 960 also ran on Nvidia Firmware.

The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command <pre>grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Garuda --force</pre> returned error code 1.

If I try to run the command in the terminal, it returns the following:

grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/boot/efi'.

Thank you guys in advance.

how have you done the partitionning , manualy or near old OS

I guess the error is from the installer. You would have to mount the efi partition and chroot into the new Arch/Garuda installation for the command to make sense alone.

What kind of installation are you trying? Do you erase the disk?

Manual partitioning.
At the friends house the 300mb gave me the same error so I increased to 350.
What I did is make a 500 MB fat32 partition mounted to /boot/Efi/ flagged with boot and bios-grub, and then 120gb as root btrfs.

260 MB is enough :slight_smile:

lsblk -f | grep 'NAME\|nvme0n1p1'
NAME        FSTYPE FSVER                    FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS
├─nvme0n1p1 vfat   FAT32 NO_LABEL B3B3-D44D  255,4M     0% /boot/efi
1 Like

I’ll definitely decrease it then! Anything I could/should do regarding the error?

:arrow_up:

Search in forum for chroot or use live ISO/Garuda Assistant/Click on chroot.

1 Like

So, weird thing is, did the installation again, same error, ran it in chroot and I get the return of

Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Could not prepare Boot variable: No space left on device
grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: Input/output error.

Funnily, I expected that already so I left 300mb untouched as free space. So the command claims I don't have enough space, even though the /boot/efi mounted partition is 300mb, and I left a 300mb unused in case I had to try chroot. Just checked KDE partition manager, still displays it as free. Funny thing is, on the parition I mounted /boot/efi, the parition manager displays that only 308 kB are used, so if it requires 260, it should technically still be large enough? Is there an option I could add to the command, to define what parition I'd like it installed on?

I had a similar error in the past (long ago, when distro-hopping like a horse :slight_smile: ).
In my case it was solved with:

# rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*

If not working, you could also try chrooting, as suggested above, and install the GRUB bootloader and update the GRUB with:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=garuda --no-nvram --removable
update-grub
3 Likes

First option didn't find anything.

The second chroot command worked for some reason, after I had already purged the entire Drive to get it to run with the assistant. Guess I lost a few hundred GB for no reason LOL.
Weird thing is though, when booting, I don't get the option to choose windows bootloader. Possibly because it's on a different drive? Still, thank you!

1 Like

Boot in Garuda Linux and do

sudo update-grub
2 Likes

Thank you..

As lucky as I am, now I got another issue. Not sure if I should open a new topic, so people that search is can find it in the future, or just post it here?

Getting an update error now, even after

sudo pacman-key --init

and

sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring chaotic-keyring

nor did

sudo pacman -Scc && update remote fix

work.

Interesting thing is, garuda.db file returns me 404 on every single mirror.

Just use

garuda-update
or
update

Ok, something happend?

update
:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
 garuda.db konnte nicht heruntergeladen werden
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
 chaotic-aur                                 2,2 MiB  3,45 MiB/s 00:01 [---------------------------------------] 100%
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von geo-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von cdn-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von au-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von au-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von br-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von br-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von br-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von bg-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von ca-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von ca-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von ca-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von cl-1-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von cl-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-4-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-5-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von de-6-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-4-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-5-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von in-6-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von jp-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von jp-1-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von jp-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von jp-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von kr-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von kr-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von kr-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von es-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von es-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von ae-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von ae-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von uk-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von uk-1-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von uk-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von uk-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-az-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-az-1-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-az-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-fl-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-mi-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-ny-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-tx-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-ut-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-va-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-va-2-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-va-3-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Konnte Datei 'garuda.db' nicht von us-va-4-mirror.chaotic.cx übertragen : The requested URL returned error: 404
Fehler: Keine Datenbank konnte synchronisiert werden (Konnte manche Dateien nicht übertragen)
 chaotic-aur                                 2,2 MiB  4,05 MiB/s 00:01 [#######################################] 100%
 garuda
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
 chaotic-aur ist aktuell
2 Likes

Yeah, I tried to update directly after the first boot, and well, first I had the keyring error, but then as said, the updater tells you to get the keyring with pacman. And well, then I followed some guides.

But then I get genau das. I'm assuming it's my fault this time?

Fixed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.