Boot problem after update. "load kernel first"

Start searching in the forum, please

2 Likes

@StonedSidney the command you are looking for to fix this issue is garuda-update -- sweet-theme-full-git, let me know if that works, and if not, please post the full output of the command.

3 Likes

Will try that when I get back to my PC.

How do I record the full output? Yesterday I did a garuda-update (might have been pacman -Syu) and it took 3.5 hours before failing with a generic error (I'll post actual error later). Is there a log recorded somewhere? I can't cut ' paste the output, I as I usually do, as it was hundreds of lines long and scrolled out of range.
Thanks.

Check in the pacman log, with e.g.

cat /var/log/pacman.log | grep '2022-12-05'
1 Like

Cheers filo, now I know where to find the logs! :grinning:
Here’s a copy of how the big update ended. Notice that “unexpected error” doesn’t help with debugging and after 3.5hrs of downloading, that was really frustrating:

sudo pacman -Syu
[snipped 100+ lines]

xboxdrv-0.8.8-7.1-x86_64                                                                  592,9 KiB  1251 KiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
xbox-generic-controller-0.1.2-1.1-any                                                       3,5 KiB  0,00   B/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
xpadneo-dkms-git-0.9.r130.g1187253-1-x86_64                                                19,7 KiB  19,2 MiB/s 00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

╭─sid@LittleHottie in ~ took 3h36m27s

Currently my system is working, but it’s in snapshot mode. When I restore a snapshot it still reboots into snapshot mode again so I guess no fixes will ‘stick’ and this should be the priority issue before anything else can be fixed? I’ve tried booting & restoringmultiple snapshots, and even killed grub along the way, but can’t get a snapshot to stick. At least this running instance has firefox, update and garuda-update usable. It’s like grub thinks this snapshot is my main Garuda :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, here’s the log from yesterday’s pacman fun:

Argh it’s too big to post (it is massive) - how do I share that with you?

2 Likes

Just do it again, that’s not a problem. It won’t download successful things again after all. Your internet connection may have had an issue in the meantime.

1 Like

Yes. Unfortunately fixing something like this over the forum is beyond frustrating for every party involved and will probably take days. Do you have discord, telegram or matrix where I can get in touch by any chance and set some time aside to help you?

Cheers,
Here goes: Garuda's PrivateBin

I don't have any of those services, but I could sign up for one. Preference?

A suggestion: when I chrooted from the live stick there were 2 Garuda options and I took the first one. Could I have then made the snapshot the "real" garuda? Just a thought.

Get in touch Telegram: Contact @JustTNE

Cheers.

I tried on this PC but had to install flatpak first. I got this result..... I'll try using the wife's Ubuntu laptop tomorrow.

╰─λ sudo pacman -S flatpak
[sudo] password for sid:
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (2) ostree-2021.2-1  flatpak-1.11.1-2

Total Download Size:    2,09 MiB
Total Installed Size:  12,51 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages...
ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst failed to download
Total (2/2)                                                                                 2,1 MiB   696 KiB/s 00:03 [------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.nimukaito.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.nimukaito.net : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.yourlabs.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.yourlabs.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.mailtunnel.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from archlinux.mailtunnel.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.wormhole.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.wormhole.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.celianvdb.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirrors.celianvdb.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.thekinrar.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.thekinrar.fr : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Failed to connect to mirror.oldsql.cc port 443: Network is unreachable
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.oldsql.cc : Failed to connect to mirror.oldsql.cc port 443: Network is unreachable
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.cyberbits.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.cyberbits.eu : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch-mirror.cloud.louifox.house : Could not resolve host: arch-mirror.cloud.louifox.house
warning: too many errors from arch-mirror.cloud.louifox.house, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch-mirror.cloud.louifox.house : Could not resolve host: arch-mirror.cloud.louifox.house
error: failed retrieving file 'ostree-2021.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.sysa.tech : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'flatpak-1.11.1-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.sysa.tech : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to retrieve some files)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

OK I'm dumb. I've installed Telegram, signed in with the QR code and given loads of permissions on my phone, and got the PC web UI open, but it's not finding JustTNE as a contact. I'm on there as StonedSidney, maybe you can contact me?

Type in @JustTNE in the search bar. Maybe it's easier if you just join the @garudalinux group instead.

Yeah, I think I just PM'd you on Telegraph. You didn't get it?

Nope. Join Telegram: Contact @garudalinux and I'll shoot you a dm.

Bugger! It's late now so I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your support and good night.

I suspect your system is still ancient, or Frankenstein.

Please post recent info:

inxi -Fraz

Joined. I've posted a "hello" kinda message and it seems to be working. I've added you as a contact too.