Bluetooth no longer working

Sorry, I jumped in later on and must have missed that. My apologies.

Do you have the latest BIOS update for your machine? I don't believe anyone may have asked that yet, and since the error message mentions firmware...

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

You can try running this command:

su -c 'bash -c "nmcli r wifi off; sleep 2; systemctl stop NetworkManager; sleep 2; systemctl stop bluetooth; sleep 2; modprobe -r btusb; sleep 2; modprobe -r igb; sleep 5; systemctl start NetworkManager; sleep 3; modprobe btusb; systemctl start bluetooth; sleep 60; nmcli r wifi on"'

This will turn off your WiFi for over a minute, (and your Ethernet until you reboot), it will also restart your Bluetooth components. It's a long shot that it will help. but it's worth a try.

Attempt connecting to your Bluetooth while your WiFi is turned off. The reason for testing this is out is that WiFi and Bluetooth combo chips often interfere with each others signal (as they share bandwidth).

This will make no permanent changes, after you reboot everything will be as it was before.

Also give the regular linux kernel a try, as you can never test too many kernels. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you all. Since my last post I have

• Updated the BIOS on this machine
  • Installed linux -firmware-git
  • Rebooted the machine

I installed and tried to run the mainline kernel, but could not get it to boot. Something to troubleshoot for later.

The good news is that one or more of those actions have resulted in my Bluetooth returning as well as my microphone sound improving (no more static)!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions! This is a fantastically helpful community of people!

1 Like

@T-Fen I'm glad you got your bluetooth working! I wonder if you can clarify: does bluetooth survive a reboot (as opposed to full shutdown, then power back on)?

Hi @BluishHumility - I've not rebooted since, but I will post here once I reboot later today and let you know.

Okay, now I really am hijacking this thread! :joy:

I installed linux-firmware-git yesterday, which did not solve the bluetooth issue on my laptop but no harm done.

Today, after clearing up this pipewire/jack conflict I took the update to zen 5.16 and poof! The bluetooth radio is now back to working perfectly. :blush:

1 Like

If the git version of firmware did not help then you should probably remove it. The git package may resolve some bugs, but it’s just as likely to open a whole new can of worms (bugs).

2 Likes

It seems like an odd move to remove the package now, after the BT radio is working perfectly for the first time in like a month! It may just be the 5.16 kernel, but who knows? Maybe it's 5.16 plus fw-git. :man_shrugging:

I will keep that in mind though, and I thank you for the heads-up. If I spot any firmware wonkiness that'll be the first thing I walk back.

1 Like

The other option is to return to the normal linux-firmware version and install only the firmware for the device in question. Intel usually has all their firmware available for download on their website. The problem with the git package is that it updates the firmware for all devices on your system to the newly released versions (which may contain instabilities).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.