Black screen when attempting to boot from installation USB

There was no change, even after letting it sit for 10 minutes. Xfce didn’t work either.
Strangely, it seems that BigLinux is having the same issue as what I’ve had with Garuda.
Additionally, a few hours ago I tried using an installation USB for Ubuntu, and while it didn’t show a black screen, it simply threw some errors and didn’t boot; the most notable thing on that was a “Kernel panic.”

Then you probably have a completely different problem.

Just a shot in the dark, try a memtest86+ from the grub menu.

2 Likes

It does run memtest86+, but the computer consistently reboots around the 5-6 GB mark and simply goes through the boot process again. I’ll try swapping the new RAM out for the old and see if that makes any difference.

Dell Latitude E6410:
Memory Max Supported 8GB :wink:

3 Likes

That explains a lot. The test is still running, but there hasn’t been any issues with the old RAM. I’ll see how it does with one 8GB stick, just to see if I can at least have some extra in there - the thing was incredibly sluggish when I had 4GB in it.

You can cancel the memtest, install 8GB RAM and try installing Linux.

1 Like

The test finished with no errors and I installed the 8GB stick, but the installation USB been stuck on Testing romfs for around 15 minutes now.

Dang. Sorry that didn’t work out for you. That’s about the extent of my knowledge on this. My Linux education is from tinkering, trial and error, and forums. I’m sure someone with more technical knowledge here or on another Linux forum can assist you further. Someone is always available to help. Good luck!

What are you trying to boot now, garuda-linux?

Yeah. I just rebooted it and let it run again, and this time it’s gotten to Testing desktopfs with no issues.

That takes way too long. Sounds like the kernel image can’t be stored or moved in RAM.
What are the specifications of the 8GB RAM stick?

1600 MHz, PNY brand.
Oddly, each time I reboot it, it’s able to do more than the last boot.

That’s too much, only 1066 MHz / 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM is supported.

5 Likes

Ah. I’ll try going through the boot process with the old RAM then, hopefully I’ll have some luck with it.

That was the issue. I’m installing Garuda now.

1 Like

Good to hear.

The laptop has 2 SODIMM slots and a maximum of 8GB RAM is supported. The data sheet does not indicate whether one slot can handle these 8GB, in my experience and opinion not. I strongly assume that only 2x4GB will work.

Either you get another 4GB with the same specifications as the old 4GB bar or you buy a 2x4GB kit 1066 MHz / 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM.

Then your Garuda should fly with 8GB :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.