Best Practices for Removing Unwanted Entries in Grub

So I've just resolved issues caused by grub-customizer and am back to garuda stock settings for grub. I now know that grub-customizer is not the way. What are some best practices for me to remove entries from the grub menu? Ideally I'l like to just have Garuda / Windows / Snapshots as options.

I've tried messing around with the scripts in /etc/grub.d but I almost always end up with a syntax error while generating the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file using update-grub. Do I just need to get better at modifying those scripts, or is there a single script I can make and run at the end to remove the entries I want?

I want to stay away from modifying /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly since I want my changes to persist past grub updates.

I never wanted to ask that but you make me.
WHY?
I see grub for 1-10 seconds, 10 when I select something from custom.cfg and the other DE's grub appears.
However, there is no M$ included :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why not :slight_smile:

is making a custom /etc/grub.d script or modifying the existing ones the right approach or is there an easier way?

I read too late the other topic, you destroy your grub with grub-customizer.

So you are sure it's really solved?

You can try efibootmgr and delete double entries etc..

efibootmgr   
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001,0002,0003,0005,0006,0009
Boot0000* garuda
Boot0001* UEFI OS
Boot0002* CD/DVD Drive 
Boot0003* Hard Drive 
Boot0005* UEFI OS
Boot0006* UEFI OS
Boot0009* UEFI OS
man efibootmgr

Much luck

1 Like

yes, it is now stock since I uninstalled grub-customizer, deleted all the configs then re-installed grub. I'll mess around with efibootmgr and probably kill my bootloader :smiley:
thanks

IIRC from other forums, g-c went deep in system and change more you can see/find, so :crossed_fingers: trust in yourself.

2 Likes

You installed grub-customizer and Windows, and you wonder why your system is messed?

Garuda provides support for neither.

You are the author of your own misfortune.

4 Likes

What do you want to exclude?

2 Likes

@tbg Not exactly constructive, if you meant it as a joke then yes, haha. I agree grub-customizer messed up my boot menu. I have fixed that as of now and it is back to the way that it was when I freshly installed Garuda (at least visually). My question was about the best practices around modifying the default Garuda grub menu, since I now know grub-customizer was not a good option.

@petsam I'd like to remove Advanced options for Garuda and Memtest. Ideally just seeing Garuda / Windows / Snapshots

Stop wanting that. You are not suggested to do those things, for not important reason.

2 Likes

Great, that's the Linux attitude I like to see. If something is not the way you like it, just ignore it. Thanks for the solution.

Edit, you might as well delete this post entirely, don't bother marking something a "solution" when it is just a waste of characters on a screen.

The things they want to remove are not there for fun, unfortunately they won't realize that until there is a problem.
If we help them to remove them, one day they will say: "But why didn't anyone tell me and even help me to remove it?

It's your system now, you are the admin, do what you can but don't lecture us about what our way is.

All said.

2 Likes