Automounting samba share via fstab

Here’s a quick one I hope. I’m trying to mount an TrueNAS share that I’ve got via Samba. Having a bit of an issue with it so far and can’t seem to figure it out.

Putting the following in my fstab:

//server-ip/share /run/media/themadtux/orion cifs uid=0,credentials=/home/themadtux/.smb/credentials.txt,iocharset=utf8,vers=3.0,noperm,nofail 0 0

The folder in /run/media/themadtux/ is usergrp themadtux and owner themadtux.

When I run ‘systemctl daemon-reload’ and then ‘sudo mount -a’ I don’t get any error messages but I do see my share in Dolphin in the left pane. But when I click on the folder it shows, there are no contents in the folder., it’s empty.

I’m missing something but I can’t seem to put my finger on it. I am new to linux for the most part so still trying to figure this out.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I’m not sure if it will work for you but i had to make the folder in /mount an do a little other work. Others probably know better.

Note*** this is not the step for true nas but it might give you an idea for your setup

sudo mount -t cifs //LSIP/share /mnt/lspro/share -o username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,vers=1.0

cd

ln -s /mnt/lspro

Now you’ll have a symbolic link that looks like a directory in your home directory called lspro. Inside it, you’ll have all the shares you mounted.

and for fstab:
//LSIP/share /mnt/lspro/share cifs username=LSUSER,password=LSPASS,uid=USER,file_mode=0644,vers=1.0

LSIP = IP address of your server
SHARE = Share name (case sensitive)
LSUSER = share username.
LSPASS = share password.
USER = Your Linux account username.

Yes, please, follow the template, post the output from garuda-inxi.
It contains additional, useful information about the status of your system.

• After rebooting, post the FULL output of garuda-inxi in the body of the post (not linked externally, or collapsed with the “hide details” feature)
  • Format terminal output (including your garuda-inxi) as a code block by clicking the preformatted text button (</>) , or put three tildes (~) above and below the text

BTW. This forum is not a general technical support forum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.