Are you happy with Garuda overall

I search in your settings.

Wait a minute.

Are you happy now?

The Russian federation is defiantly visable here in the UK

6 Likes

As always, everyone else is to blame.

The forum software is from discourse, we can’t change anything, and no updates were installed during this time.
When I sent the photo, the flag was visible in your settings.
From now on, I will delete every political statement without warning, no matter how flowery it is paraphrased.
Again, this is a technical help forum and whether someone uses the European or any other flag is up to them. We can’t check whether someone flies that flag because they were born in that country or live there or their pen pal lives there.

8 Likes

Guys, let’s not forget about the things which we all most likely have in common - our interest in Tech, Linux and open source?

Yes, things are heated right now politically. Yes, people disagree with each other on things. Yes, there might be people expressing their feelings concerning this whole situation in weird ways. However, that doesn’t mean that this conflict needs to be spread in this forum. We all are human beings and should try to treat each other with respect although we might not agree with the other person’s ideology or point of view. This is a place where we all are in charge of how people treat each other. That’s all, thanks :hugs:

11 Likes

Here, once is not once, but once is too much.

There are rules here, anyone who equates this with dictatorship has never lived in one.

In a dictatorship, these posts would have been deleted and your “offence” punished with banishment.

But you are still here and can complain that this is a dictatorship. :person_shrugging:

I have said everything.

6 Likes

Shame on them. I’m happy and I commented, as I think most people that commented here are.

7 Likes

Just FYI:

Our forum's software dictates how many privileges you have on our forum. Check the discourse forum documentation to see how "Trust Levels" work on a discourse forum. Your Trust Level (TL) dictates what you can and can't do on a discourse forum.

When you first join the forum your privileges are very restricted as to how many times per day you can post. Posting pictures and links is also restricted for new registrants to prevent spamming and save bandwidth.

Once you have been a member for a while your privileges are escalated by the discourse software. If you visit the forum regularly, read and contribute a predetermined amount of unflagged posts your TL is elevated by the forum's software algorithms.

Conversely, if your posts are flagged repeatedly on the forum your trust level will automatically be reduced by the forum software. If you continue to have posts flagged regularly a moderator may lock your trust level at that of a new user. The forum software also monitors and downgrades the privs of users that are no longer visiting, reading, or posting on a regular basis.

In summary, in most cases the forum software dictates how many privileges users have on our forum. In "special" cases users that have demonstrated that they are not trustworthy may have their trust level reduced permanently by a moderator. If you have been a member of our forum for a while and your privileges have been locked at a lower level, that is likely because your behaviour on our forum does not meet the standards of being considered a trustworthy member of the community.

This is not censorship, this is the way the discourse forum software is intended to work. Trustworthy positive behaviour is rewarded by more privs, and untrustworthy negative behaviour results in privs being downgraded.

I hope that somewhat explains how a discourse forum works to those unfamiliar with its inner workings.

8 Likes

The reviews are unfair. This is probably an attack by users of another distribution. Yes, garuda dragonized gaming edition has a lot of unused programs, but they are removed in one command. About the support - complete nonsense, especially when they added garuda-hotfixes especially for newbies, the support is at a very good level! The real problems are only two, and they are solved relatively easily. plymouth and latte-dock caused a lot of problems (in the first case, the inability to boot in more than half of cases, in the second - memory leaks and freezing along with a very high CPU consumption). Everything was solved easily and the system works just fine! I will definitely post my review, garuda deserves a 9/10.

4 Likes

What are we missing on the 10?
It’s Arch (based), it works for 99.99% of installations.
We have 10 thousands of downloads and it doesn’t work for 10 people on the first try.
What else is missing for the 10? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It's only a matter of latte-dock and plymouth. The last one, as I understood, does not work on nvidia (I have custom driver (not working), not nvidia-dkms (not working) and not nouveau (working on nouveau) ). Latte-dock caused a lot of problems, I disabled it, and in the background it started consuming more than 32 GB of memory over several days, which caused nohang to kill a lot of things (the workflow (meshroom) consumed 119 GB of RAM). It can be difficult for newcomers to remove plymouth and latte-dock

1 Like

OK, but this has nothing to do with Garuda even if it is pre-installed.
Personally, I like flameshot more than other screenshot programs, there are sometimes problems with this software, but that has nothing to do with Garuda, just because it was added to the distribution.

We can remove everything that could cause problems, but then it would just be Arch :smiley:

3 Likes

What is missing?

Free beer :beers:

9 Likes

Hell if I knew what was missing I would have given a 10

1 Like

EndeavourOS or Garuda. Currently using Garuda cause of the GUI tools. If this breaks in a way I can't repair, back to Endeavour.

Great OS. The general attitude towards noobs should be friendlier. I give it a solid 8.

2 Likes

It is not that we are unfriendly towards noobs IMO. We simply have limited support resources, and as our forum has gotten very busy we had to prioritize who receives assistance from the Garuda team. We no longer have the resources to provide assistance for requests of a frivilous nature or help requests unrelated to Garuda.

Would an ambulance respond to a 911 call from a person complaining of a stubbed toe in your home area?

5 Likes

I would rate Garuda with 9/10!
After a few months of distrohopping in 2021, I've stuck with Garuda (KDE). I like the design and the community is awesome! Also, the performance is great in my opinion, especially for games. I have 32GB of RAM. Why would I install a system that only uses 800MB of RAM? I didn't buy 32GB to enjoy the fact that I still have 31GB free... Free RAM is wasted RAM! I like this philosophy and it seems to be true. I also love the GUI tools that come with it. They make a lot of things easier, especially for Linux newbies.
I have been using Garuda for about 6 months now. I haven't had any major problems yet, except for a partial update a few days ago. But that was easily fixed thanks to the wizard provided for that.

What I don't like so much are the many installed games in the Gaming Edition. But that's the only thing and you can simply uninstall the kde-games-meta. But that´s just my opinion. It may be great for many others!

Thank you for this great distribution that finally took me away from Windows! I have used Microsoft operating systems since MS-DOS 4.0 (released in 1988). It´s been a very long time, but now it´s over and I don´t miss anything!

I don´t know if this is the right place here, but I have a few suggestions that probably could make life a bit easier:
During the installation I noticed that after the first start you can install some programs by selection, in the start wizard. If you select thunderbird as e-mail client, then the installation in the terminal appears the message that thunderbird is in conflict with thunderbird-appmenu, which is already installed. Here, either the installation should not take place until you have made the selection or the selection in the startup wizard should be removed. If you then specify in the message that thunderbird-appmenu should not be removed, then the complete installation of all selected programs aborts. You have to start over and go through the wizard again. I think that this problem could cause uncertainty and further problems for people who are not so well versed.

When Signal Desktop is installed by the startup wizard, the menu entry should be generated with "--start-in-tray" option by default. Unfortunately there is no other way to configure this.

It would be great if your services like bitwarden, cryptpad and the others would be integrated as webapps or in an other way, maybe as hint in a popup. This are really great services, but I didn´t recognize them in the first days of using Garuda. One of the first things I do after a new installation is to uninstall the browser, if it is not Firefox, and install Firefox as my default browser. Then I delete all favorites and log in to my account to sync my favorites.

Maybe you could give some advices to tools like Cryptomator at a useful place. With this personal data can be easily protected. It is not possible to create an account for your Nextcloud at the moment. So some users may start to use cloud providers that do not care for privacy at all (especially Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive). I use pCloud, they really care for privacy (when using data storage in EU, there are no known backdoors for secret services). But I can´t control them, so I must trust them. But I don´t, so I use Cryptomator.

LMAOOO XD

Can't have enough likes for this answer @Bro :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:eight_spoked_asterisk: :nine: :eight_spoked_asterisk:

Top Reasons That Attracted me to Garuda Linux

Now running Garuda KDE Dr460nizedon on my iMac Retina as Daily Driver…

• :100:Phenominal Support:100:

The Garuda Team seems very involved and willing to help.
Often in realtime on the forum. Impressive.
Stay out front, Garuda Team! You’re rockin’ this.

• OOTB Defaults

Can we have some [ vi ] love? :love_you_gesture: :sunglasses:
Hard to get used to no vi on a default boot in any UNIX/Linux.
Ahhh, micro. Now I know.

• Theming Is Truly Wicked

• Garuda Assistants and Tools

• Performance Oriented

• Btrfs Assitant in particular is superbly nice.

Well, there’s more but you get the drift!

-Enjoy,
Cannabis

6 Likes

ARCH is a different animal you have to have some knowledge … and try to do things on your own. No one holds your hand or does it for you. If your looking for that type go to a beginner OS. And my comment isn’t meant to be ill

4 Likes

Arch is not meant for beginners and i learned that the hard way :grin: .. however if you are willing to learn and put in the hardwork you will eventually succeed

You aint going to learn in a day, while I was given information and wiki links it proved that it didnt apply to me (garuda linux issues) but i still took it all on board and eventually came out the other end with a fully usable OS

Dont expect anyone to hold your hand and do it for you because you wont learn the skills required to move foward while using arch

If you want a more simple and beginner friendly os i recommend staying clear of any arch based distro

Hopefully that makes sense and im not trying to be nasty about it either but i absolutely agree with bubby :smile_cat: