Are you happy with Garuda overall

Obviously children should not be allowed to write reviews on Distrowatch, or is Distrowatch just irrelevant in 2022?

Thanks for creating Garuda, i am a 20 windows vet that was always too scared to go CLI , this is my first ever Linux dirstro and its the best decision i have made in years re my PC's.

7 Likes

You just cant click like on your own post, that is all, and the Russian flag should not be banned, shame on anyone falling for media and political propaganda in 2022....we are all one wake up!

3 Likes

I know, right?! Why is it so unnecessarily awful?! :exploding_head:

1 Like

9.5 as you always come across some improvements that I enjoy. Overall I wouldn't think of trying something else as when it ain't broke ... hold on I always try to break it!

5 Likes

9/10 for me. I'm very happy with Garuda, but it is a bit bloated for my tastes and I don't mind removing a few packages to get it where I want it.

I'm very happy with the Garuda included tools. IMHO, the two things that really separate different distro's are the custom tools that distro specific and the base configuration of the OS. As an example of the later, Garuda was, for me, the first distro that included configured snapshots with grub and updates out of the box. While I know that some want as few packages installed as possible, I have seen it written that Garuda is targeting the intermediate linux user and I believe this strikes a perfect balance.

The few problems that I have had have all been Arch issues, not Garuda specific.

One final note, the hater examples in the OP are really just one-offs and really shouldn't be considered. They don't reflect the majority opinion here, not even close.

Keep up the great work !!!

2 Likes

Thank you.

9 Likes

Check your settings.

BTW, please pay attention to the forum rules.

9 Likes

He's just a troll probably lol

4 Likes

I was debian based distro user from the time when i started to use linux.
After when i started using linux for almost a year ago

i would like to say it’s the best,

It has a lots of scripts to maintain your system, i started to realise the real power of linux after using garuda

Each and every edition has it’s own beauty,
All are differently themed but if you want to change something then you can do it very easily

do they had even used any edition of garuda linux?

Most of them don’t even know basic philosophy of garuda linux on RAM
Which is unused RAM is waste RAM and that’s why this distro comes already with ZRAM and preload

Those who say that garuda is bloat,
are one of the stupid persons who criticize people without knowing their opinions

Just ask about what is the use of ZRAM , they will not even be able to say a single thing about it… :wink:

In short it’s the best daily driver

Like to rate it 1000 :wink:

3 Likes

Let’s be honest I’m just a scriptkidy with age 40. So I very great full for the Linux community.

Years, I was on off with Linux, Windows forced me to go the street. Starting by using Ubuntu but the first time I saw the Amazon application it was a no go for me.

And my journey began, years of Distrohoping get me to thinking, go back to windows. But just by installing windows again has make me sickened.

Tanks that Garuda came on the horizon. Starting with the Dr46onized was the best feeling long time ago. All my peripherals, Printer, Scanner, etc…. just works even there are 10+ years old.

Unfortunately “Latte Dock” brought my system time to time to freeze. Why I know that was Latte? Because by installing “Garuda Barebones” weeks without problems, by just installing and using Latte --> the “freezing” starter again.

I have try out the other versions off Garuda, but nothing feels good to me. So I now stick to “Garuda Barebones”. The significant change is that I use the hardened Kernel.

Garduda Barebones is the longest distro that I ever have.

Tanks to Garuda and the hole Linux community.

3 Likes

Hey WELCOME to the Garuda Forums! :smiley:

That is so true!!! I configured a Garuda for my old father and I told him “well I don’t know if the printer/scanner will work, I might have to work around this and figgle around before it does”. I plugged it in, started a print, it printed! Started a scan, it scanned! No config required, no need to choose a setting or whatever. It wasn’t that easy with his previous OSX.

4 Likes

Hey guys let's please leave the politics, religion, and other hot button topics off our forum.

While some may consider this censorship, this is the policy on almost every Linux forum in existence.

20 Likes

Lots of snowflakes on this forum, especially with Garuda's new found popularity that is bringing in all the lookie-lews. I am always getting flagged, but for pushing the boundaries with offensive humor. :imp: I just can't help myself. :laughing:

Rule of thumb, like it is with many family get-together events/holidays, never talk about religion, politics and anal humor (maybe that one is just my family.) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

ok no more mention of UFOs. Back on topic.

Switching from Windows to Linux, I spent plenty of time to research distros. Many spoke of Garuda, and I kept hearing comments such as "I kept trying all kinds of distros but always came back to Garuda." So I gave it a try. It works like a charm. Does it take a lot of RAM? Research ZRAM and that's what it does. Is it bloated? If I use it for gaming and all kinds of stuff, I'd install most of the apps anyway -- more importantly, it asks me what I want to install or not during setup. What is bloat for some are features for others. Garuda clearly targets "intermediate" Linux users. Arch targets expert users. Garuda makes Arch a lot more usable and intuitive. Automatic snapshots, for example, is a solution to Arch's occasional update issues. Many of the critics of Garuda are in fact critics about Arch. Garuda does not try to make Arch work like Ubuntu, but it can give a smoother experience.

If you're a beginner (or want to install on your wife or grand-ma's laptop), stick to Ubuntu-based. If you're expert and want full control, go with Arch or Garuda Barebone. If you have a modern computer, you're intermediate level, want ZRAM (use compressed RAM instead of SWAP), and want something Arch-based -- then Garuda is a solid choice. Just know that like any Arch system, you can have occasional issues that are generally easy to fix.

I haven't touched Windows in over a month... no excitement in it whatsoever. I'd honestly say it's much easier to go from Windows to Linux than the other way around.

10 Likes

Ok, here is a funny perspective.

My gaming friends hate Garuda, because I use it and because of the limits of gaming on Linux. They are still using windows for gaming, but I refuse to use anything from m$ (except at work, where they have to pay me to use m$ products).

9 Likes

I'll give Garuda a 10. This is the best forum. It has managed to keep the newbie (help-vampire) topics to a minimum. There is real help for uncommon issues. And there is room for some off-topic discussion!

8 Likes

I feel that. I've seen that with Manjaro as well back in the days.
It is like "modern internet cringe". Especially those "iT iS bLoAtEd.."
Yeah dude, if you ain't able to f..ing read the goal of the distro than it is a YOU-Problem :rofl:
Like complaining about why a mips compiled binary doesn't run on x86 :melting_face:

Btw.: I already have left a honest review of Garuda on DistroWatch in March :yum:

As for your Feedback @tbg
I just killed my Win10 and THIS post is written from my Garuda main computer (workstation).
I'm currently in the "getting resolve running, personal setup and stuff"-step.
I testeted Garuda for almost 2 weeks on another SSD and it didn't let me down once. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You (Garuda Dev Team) did great and now even my GUI btrfs-assistant works xD

Sidenote: pls solve the issue at the Garuda-Installer (Suggestion:
if "Garuda Installer" is running then kill "set utitlity".)

This automatic mounting usb/cd drives utility always messes the partitioning up (since it mounts the /run of the partition at least in my case). Sure, it is a quick solve but can be frustrating. It happens to me on every installation (SSD and NVME). As I know the quick fix I can't be bothered but perhaps others. I don't have more to complain about.

That's my honest feedback. :sunglasses:
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: (5/5) according to your scale: 10/10 :smiley:

My config:
Host: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37)
Kernel: 5.17.1-zen1-1-zen
Uptime: 33 mins (as said, fresh install xD)
Packages: 1710 (pacman)
Shell: bash (yet - gonna change to fish, it is awesome!)
DE: Plasma 5.24.4
WM: KWin
WM Theme: Sweet-Dark
Terminal: konsole
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 3.8GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT
Memory: 4.44GiB / 62.78GiB

What I do:

• Video Editing (DaVinci Resolve Studio + HW Panel (BMD Speed Editor)
  • 3D renderings (Blender)
  • Several video utilities (Avidemux, Handbrake, MediaInfo, ...)
  • Screencapturing (for Videos)
  • Gaming
  • Canon TS3100 Printer/Scanner combo (which works flawlessly)

** My Games **

• Satisfactory
  • EuroTruckSimulator (it is super chilling while watching YT Vids xD)
  • Skyrim (yes.. I still love this game)
  • Enderal (German (SureAI) developed total conversation mod with an awesome story)
  • Supreme Commander (Forged alliance, part 1, part 2)
  • Kingdom Come Deliveranve (+ DLCs) - the heric game launcher is awesome!
  • FrostPunk
  • AOE 1 and 2 + definitive Edition
  • Stronghold 1 - 3 + Legends plus Crusader 1 and 2 and their HD Extreme Editions
  • Assassins Creed BlackFlag (all DLCs)
  • Anno 1800 (alls DLCs)
  • Anno 1404 (..found in the internet cough with all DLCs (Venice))
  • Far Cry 4
  • Sniper Elite 3
  • ... and some more xD

Software I can't use anymore:

• WinxHD Converter (pretty damn good video download framework!)
  • DVDFab (a chinese converter tool I used cracked by principle)
  • Cortana :rofl:

I'm doing good and I love the assistant tools. They are standing out over most other distros imho.

Best regards! o/

EDIT: Some additions :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I would give Garuda 7/10. I use everyday and I felt like it was easy to install. I don't get the bloat comments it gave me the choice of what I want to install. I have had a few issues here and there but nothing to major. It works well for my use case

6 Likes

Please remember that happy people rarely comment; it's the unhappy users that do the most.

Also, those two reviews were written by the same person--their styles match--so that's also not much to be concerned about. Just someone with a bee under their bonnet. :smiley:

8 Likes

i did.
there were 3 nations starting with ‘R’ and Russia was not there.
i looked for it SPECIFICALLY when i noticed that a number of people had changed theirs to Ukraine as an obvious political statement.

i don’t know if there is a changelog for this website’s admin settings, but if so i suggest investigating it to find out who had removed it.

i can’t send DM’s anymore so i have no choice but to respond on this thread.

“He’s just a troll probably lol”

i’m not a ‘troll’.
i HATE deception, i cannot abide it and will confront it wherever encountered.

God be with you all and thank you to the Garuda Team for the best OS on Earth.