Another rant about stability

Continuing Features & Stability Questions:

I think that's a great video that perfectly depicts the state of Garuda and what's expected from an average Garuda user right now. It's not for everyone and not only because we say it or because we expect people to check every package update just in case it breaks, but also because it's a necessity on an Arch-based system to know what you are doing. The thing is, if somebody were to make a completely stable and newbie-friendly Linux OS I wouldn't recommend anything as a base because there is just way too much out of your control in this process. Even worse - every GUI has it's own issues, like unsolvable vsync in xorg, nvidia on wayland, complicated settings in kde or stupid design in gnome. I think in order to pull off this "perfect system" you would need to make most of your software from scratch with very strict coding standards, and barely provide any support for third-party apps. Otherwise, it's going to break one day. And you will not be able to fix it yourself, because other people's code is way too big to be maintainable by your team. But my point is, we need better standards and more independence if we want stability. But in the Linux world, everybody is dependant on everybody else in an endless circle of life and we're stuck in a world of software that barely works.

When the staff closes a topic deliberately, please don't open a new topic to continue the conversation. It was closed for a reason.

4 Likes