All about wine

What does it say when you try to open from terminal?

it does not say anything

the loading icon comes and after that nothing happens

Its better to suggest a pacman -Syu as -Sy alone might result in a partial upgrade (maybe the reason why its not starting). So, next would be upgrading the whole system to make sure everything is up to date.

sudo pacman -Syu

(If its still not starting put libreoffice in the terminal and press enter, then post the output here)

4 Likes

wait i am sending the video of my problem

Videos wont help, we need text output to help you. Upgrade the system, then try again, then post text output if its still not working. :thinking:

2 Likes

ok i will try

Posting videos instead of textual terminal outputs will result in a lock being put on your thread until it is removed and replacedby proper textual otputs.

2 Likes

More broadly, the first thing you should do when you want to run something on any Linux distro, including Garuda, is to go to the software center and see if someone has something up already. Wine is great for many applications, but it's not as good as a native application.

The software center has a variety of decent options for Whatsapp, including Whatsdesk (a properly native client from what I undestand) and some nativefier apps (which is basically just Whatsapp in its own little web browser with some nice touches like system tray support, notifications, etc. Those would be your first bet for anything.

For Notepad++, that does indeed work in Wine, but you should consider something like Notepadqq (also available in the software center) which is a native alternative that would be nicer. More broadly, you have a host of other fantastic options for text editors, from Kate (which should be preinstalled if you're using KDE) to Atom to VSCode. You can even edit stuff in the terminal with micro! And of course there's the grognard options of vi/vim and emacs for people who think ctrl-S to save is for casuals.

For video games, Garuda preinstalls proton-ge which is a slightly improved version of Valve's own Proton that will allow games launched through Steam to run pretty flawlessly. That's how 99% of any Windows applications should probably be ran on your computer.

As a last resort, when there is no Linux version or alternative and it's not a video game, then you should use Wine. It'll look a little funky compared to your other desktop applications and it won't integrate into your system as well (so it won't run as lighning-quick as other Linux applications and won't use your very nice application theme), but it'll work just fine for most apps that aren't doing anything too weird.

For highly specialized Windows-only applications, like those meant for rooting phones or those related to a particular professional field, I highly recommend keeping a Windows partition or VM ready to go. Especially nowadays there's really not any need for day-to-day computing, but sometimes you need to do something very niche and the only applications are Windows and you can't risk there being any bugs introduced by Wine. It's a massive pain in the ass, but I literally only use it to either root phones or remember the layout of Windows when I need to fix someone's computer over a phone and need to walk them through something step by step.

2 Likes

Here when i try to do system upgrade here is the result
pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur 981.0 KiB 114 KiB/s 00:09 [--------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace knetattach with extra/plasma-desktop? [Y/n] y
y
:: Replace python-dbus with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-dbus-common with extra/dbus-python? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: performance-tweaks and auto-cpufreq-git are in conflict

2 Likes