AdGuard DNS: Selecting another server IP and troubleshooting

Hey, i've been recently having some issues with access to Ad Guard's DNS service.

I'm based in America, but AFAIK this 176.103.130.130 server is in the Netherlands, although some rDNS service I found on google said that it was in Russia.

In any case, my DNS traffic to that IP is perhaps being interrupted from time to time ...

• In the past week or so, there have been DNS request timeouts for specific hosts (github.com, registry.npmjs.org). I had to write /etc/hosts for a temp fix.
  • In the past 2 days there have been two outages where DNS goes out completely, but i can still ping external IP's. For the complete outage, it affected both my laptops (same network)

Would it be simple to set up this script/GUI to allow users to select an IP from a drop down or from a list in the command line?

Also, now that I digged a bit deeper on my system, i found that only /etc/resolv.conf mentions the AdGuard server 176.103.130.130, but neither /run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf nor /run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf reference that IP. Instead, it's just pulling DNS from my router at the the next hop.

• Is there something else I should do to configure AdGuard?
  • Am I right in thinking this? nslookup shows AdGuard.
  • How can I tell what DNS NetworkManager has loaded?
  • Does NetworkManager automatically configure the DNS Sec features of AdGuard?
  • Why would the DNS go out for both my laptops at the same time? (same network, same nslookup results)

It's not a huge deal. It may not even matter in my case, since I may simply configure AdGuard on my Routers at home.

1 Like

I saw you linked the script in question yourself, so yes only /etc/resolv.conf is actually changed by the toggle.

Not a bad idea actually. The current implementation is definitely something which can be improved. Writing a bash script which uses Yad to have the selection comes to mind, this is how the setup assistant works for example. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes