About problems with legacy NVIDIA cards

For folks that try to use old GTS 450 or similar legacy-cards - the easiest way to get them working is by using some KDE editions of this distro. Simply install the nvidia-390xx-dkms from AUR. In case you're having any vsync or performance problems - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing_in_KDE_(KWin) Also, I tested the Wayfire and i3 editions and they had similar issues with these cards - the WM just refuses to boot up, so can't recommend these.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting, but those are basically temporary workarounds. The only real solution is to not buy your graphics cards from a manufacturer that doesn't support open source drivers.

Nvidia has deprecated the drivers for my last 2 nvidia card purchases. I will never buy any of their products again as they are not Linux/open source friendly. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

5 Likes

Also, every time when you need to change a kernel you need to rebuilt your driver for it. I usually just boot up from grub (Advanced options > Garuda with a new kernel), then do "Ctrl+Alt+F2" (Or any other F, except for the letter :grin:) to change to a different display server and start building. In case of this distro, you can just log in and do "pacman -S nvidia-390xx-dkms" and reboot.

2 Likes