Would Garuda be a good fit for me?

Let's please not turn this into a bashing of other distros. I merely was responding to the claim another distro was a superior choice to Garuda. IMO I feel that is an unfair comparisson. I'm not putting down any other Arch based distros, I'm simply saying Garada is equal or better in many respects.

7 Likes

Just to be clear, I agree. Like many things in linux, Garuda vs other Distros doesn’t come down to “better or worse” it just comes down to differences, and choosing a distro that is best suited towards ones specific priorities or preferences.

1 Like

Q: Would Garuda be a good fit for me?
A: Based on your description, no. Linux is not for people unwilling to explore their operating systems. Even just for gaming.

5 Likes

I had no wifi issues with them and do with Garuda. I am currently trying to figure out and research why before asking for assistance. I much prefer Garuda. It's se*y as all hell!

1 Like

I have never used vanilla arch and I've only used Manjaro a little because I don't like it. I've had no trouble using Garuda. Yes, you can live in it without the command prompt. As an experienced noob and habitual distro hopper I classify Garuda as beginner friendly. So yes--try it.

3 Likes

Hey, Garuda is actually a really nice distro. They are doing a lot right. A few things to note though.

1. You need understand Deja and Timeshift backup methods. Garuda uses BT files systems and bends it to allow restoring from grub (boot domain if you like)
  2. The team is really good but they do use rolling distro excuses "it wont always be stable" which of course is bullcrappy as OpenBSD is rolling and the most stable OS on the planet. But you have to note the culture in linux.
  3. Linux, no matter what anyone tells you on here, is not stable in general. It still feels unfinished most of the time so you have to live with that. It is actually improving a lot recently but understand that most distros will always feel a bit broken. 11 million lines of code and the delivery process for code .... is still a bit stone age why there is no structure for app completion.
  4. Using Garuda over something like PoPos there will be a difference. System76 have to be very careful with updates as they sell hardware. Garuda is a little less cared for.

In conclusion ..... Garuda is really cool, has new and unique data protections such as grub relative timeshift, is focused on speed & performance .. although doesnt always work, has loads of HW support early (like 6800 series), and has a really nice dev team. If you are careful with updates and backups Garuda is a lovely system. If you want stability absolute then Pop or another linux hardware seller distro. But then linux was never truly stable as it is still considered a part time game. If someone actually took it seriously and focused on making it solid in all areas it would be unstoppable.
P.S. Many might answer linux is so stable they use it in the largest data centres etc etc ... I build these systems as an SI in LE and the situation is completely different from Desktop Linux, plus it is still always getting hacked, and we have to use Unix as a border to protect it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Garuda KDE Dragonized Edition is the best for what you want, so go for it :sunglasses:

But, important things to note:

1. You need to learn this distro the same way you learned Windows, even without opening terminal. (I assume that you never have opened an application called CMD).
    If you are comfortable in reading, Garuda Linux wiki is the best place to start. (It also asks you to use terminal commands, but frankly, you'll get the job done without terminal. You just need to know where the option is in which app).

2. If you seek any help here, you are definitely expected to have the basic knowledge of terminal and some terminal commands. So, before seeking any help here, just go through Garuda Linux wiki.

3. If you seek any help outside Garuda (like searching on the internet), ALWAYS have the keyword "Arch Linux", otherwise you'll end up with answers for Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros where the commands are different.

7 Likes

Baloney. System 76 sells computers and Pop_OS is “tailored” to work on them. Their developers don’t spend one minute less than Garuda’s.

And Windows is? Then tell me why a recent update just caused two BSODs when trying to use Etcher in Windows 10 Pro? Fah! :frowning:

Linux (Garuda barebones) is going back on this machine this morning, tailored to my wants. Do I think Garuda is a good fit for novice users? No, not really. Arch may have most-if-not-all the current packages, but our developers have not assembled your average Chevy/Ford. They could, and did, create a high-strung race horse of a base distribution, and it may require a little bit more attention than your average nag. I say this from the standpoint of working with, on, and contributing to Linux for quite a period of time. It might be an opinion, but it is an informed one.

Linux has always been for those who want to use it. They that want any (imagined) “bragging rights” by only installing it, deserve what they get.

regards

9 Likes

I had A bsod just opening setings
Remember dont use windows unless you absolutly have to.

4 Likes

Like when the Fire Exit is blocked. :wink:

3 Likes

Or when the airplane exits are blocked.
But can you fit thou it they look to small to go though.

1 Like

Bullsh!t. Tell that to my 8-year-old SolydXK installation, my 7-year-old Debian Testing (recently converted to Debian Sid) installation, my 5-year-old Arch installation and watch them laugh you out of the room. All have been rock-solid through the years.

7 Likes

How are you finding Sid, been using it for more than 2 years now on a test computer?

2 Likes

Linux stability, much like Windows stability depends a lot on the user, honestly. Arguing about windows BSODs this or linux update hassles that...it's pointless. Windows works perfectly well for people (Including me), Linux works perfectly well for people, every system can be stable or it can be unstable.

In either case you need to invest the time in order to understand the system you are using to either a) know how to fix issues that come up or b) know enough to prevent issues from occurring in the first place. And since the focus of this discussion is supposed to be on linux gaming, you need to know a heck of a lot less about your system in order to game on Windows as opposed to gaming on Linux, and you need to be willing to put in that effort if you want to have a successful time

For example, in order to get Civilization 6, a steam game with a linux port working about 5 minutes ago, I had to edit the launch command to pre-load the freetype library, otherwise the game just crashes to desktop with no apparent error. You need to be comfortable with looking through logs to figure out what happened, how to fix or or how to search for the solution and, again, if you're not willing to put in the effort to learn the system you're using...you're going to get frustrated and give up.

Nobody's saying you can't game on linux or it's impossible and frustrating, what is being said is that you need to be willing to learn the terminal and learn how things work or you're going to get super frustrated.

2 Likes

It’s like a slightly more up-to-date Testing, and a slightly out-of-date Arch :grin:.

I converted from Testing to Sid last July, and it’s been reliable and stable.

2 Likes

I fully agree, Linux is like a wild horse. If you can control it, you will love it and appreciate the beauty. You will never use old ambassador again.
Win is like ambassador car, less powerful, least exciting. You never get thrill on ambassador car, but you have a lot of people to teach you. And you will find rarely anyone on horse in street
:wink:

8 Likes

So, more Vin Diesel, than Driving Miss Daisy?

Good analogies, guys :rofl:

4 Likes

Most Linux OS you get what you want to put into it.
I have one that is for banking and security, one for testing and settings up programs before moving it to the security one and the other I'm trying to bust and can't.
Also Windows on one so I can take it for a ride once a year to remind me why I use Linux! :shushing_face:

8 Likes

Please go use OpenBSD then.

Sounds to me like you’re not really the master of your system. Or worse, you think you are and know just enough to break things and not enough to fix them. Arch has been the most stable OS experience of my life other than WIndows XP.

Your post here could be one of the most laughable things I’ve read on the internet in a long time.

5 Likes

I have seen numerous statements on here excusing Garuda as a rolling release … and lacking stability on updates all over this forum. I know the system76 grp do you have visibility into what they do? :). If so I retract ha. I like the code the team here do, I think Garuda has true potential, but yes different goals. But would love if you were more right. than me and Garuda becomes the stable release … we need it in Linux.

Havent used windows for 22 years … :slight_smile: … MacOS (under restrictions), OpenBSD, Linux, and a few others. It is not about how crap other OSes are … it is what Garuda can do for this chap.

Again my conclusion stands. If you want to use it just be ready to repair if needed. But apart from that it has real potential, so worth it otherwise.

Sounds like you are persuading a horse to jump :). … but if you want me to be proud of you in particular … I can say I am if it makes you feel better :slight_smile: