Which DE should I download for amd ryzen 5 4600h

Hello I'm particularly new to arch distro. I'm planning to migrate from windows to Linux.. Can someone help me which DE is recommended to download for my laptop. I have a lenovo ideapad gaming 3

Specs:
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 4600h
Gpu: Nvidia geforce gtx 1650ti
Storage: 1tb hdd
Ram: 8gb

I'm an IT student and I mainly use my laptop for programming mostly like android studio and web development. Im not that into gaming that much. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your decision to move to Linux!

All of them should work perfectly fine on a fairly powerful hardware like that. Picking a DE is a matter of personal preference.

You'll have to try a few of them to know what you like the most. You can try them on live ISOs, so you don't even have to install the OS. Or look up screenshots and videos about them.

Personally, I'd go with KDE Plasma, because it is obviously the superior desktop (and it has both Konsole and Kate, my two favourite programs), but I'm not you, and I suspect that there might be people who disagree with me (they are wrong, though). :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks for the response. I'm quite hesitant to pick which one because as I was checking some topics on the forum i saw a lot of issues and complaints(OS not booting up,wifi issue, failed to install etc) and Garuda doesn't work well in this particular Cpu (AMD)

You'll just have to try. :man_shrugging:

The desktop environment is just cosmetics on top of the operating system. If there are any hardware compatibility issues, they should be, for the most part, independent of the choice of the DE. It is very rare that a specific DE misbehaves with certain hardware. Some have higher hardware requirements, like GNOME, but with a fairly powerful computer like yours, that should not matter.

4 Likes

I'll give plasma a try. Thank you

3 Likes

IMO Gnome is easy to use (once you spend some time with it learning how it works), but I prefer Cinnamon for it's speed and simplicity.
As Kresimir said just try the Live USB of each to see what you like best.