When installing garuda grub installation failed

is there anyway to do that from windows?
yes im trying to dualboot linux with windows
i make another esp partition when installing linux and i give it 1gb

Could you please provide the output of

fdisk -l

and

lsblk -o name,type,fstype,size,uuid,mountpoint
1 Like

This, to some degree, exhibits that Garuda recognizes the image well enough to boot into it. But that does not eliminate either a bad image or a bad USB key. And a 2017 BIOS. It also does not eliminate a failed GRUB install. It’s also an older, low end processor, low RAM (if any is shared with video it is too little), and it even takes 83% just to boot the live image. sigh

Plus @filo’s question above was never answered.

There are many variables to work with. But preliminarily, it appears that we don’t yet know enough to qualify an answer.

2 Likes

thats all it says
i would be uploading images but i cant
+i dont know what information to give
im booting into garuda image to do the commands filo sayd

I'm just aiming to see what EFI system partitions you have, in order to select the right one in the installer step when you install the bootloader (if I remember well, you have a drop box to select the partition). Do you remember if that occurred and you checked the partition?

1 Like

I would consider the following.

• I would look to the manufacturer for a newer BIOS and install it if there is one available.
  • I would download an image of a lighter-weight distribution, say MX Linux.
  • I would verify the image is good.
  • I would use a different USB key.
  • I would use the other distribution's recommended method to burn their ISO to the new USB key.
  • I would install the new distribution using their defaults.

If the above do not work--I mean all of them--I would really consider using a newer/different machine.

Those are what I would do. You asked, I answered. :smiley:

regards

3 Likes

We keep hearing how Garuda is buggy and slow because users don't want to accept that Garuda doesn't support older hardware or VM.

It is enough to have FF and a few tabs open that everything runs on disk.

2 Likes

i think i have 2 efi partitions
one already exists and windows uses it
one i make for garuda
when making the efi partition i give it the /boot/efi mountpoint and boot flag (i think there was a efi flag too im not sure)
there is nowhere else to like select the efi or somth

uh
i cant reply anymore

soo i cant do anything?
i tried another distro already and i got the same error

so i think i will go with arch
is that a good choice or should i use some distros that are made for systems like this
but will it install properly? im asking this bc 2 distros gave me the same error that grub cant be installed
if we wanted to ignore the fact that garuda cant run anyways on this machine is there anyway to fix the error?

i used arch before (not in this machine tho on my pc)
but will the error happen again? when it happend in another distro?
the main reason i sayd arch was bc it doesnt have an installer and i can install it myself

You did not tell us you were dual-booting with Windows. Dual-booting is generally not supported. sigh

EDIT: Please understand. Your machine can most probably run Linux. But you will need to make your choice(s) based on the distribution’s requirements and your machine’s capabilities. But probably not with Garuda, not in any enjoyable manner. (Not without a deeper understanding of how Linux works.)

3 Likes

Your machine can run Arch, no doubt. But are you capable of installing and troubleshooting it?
Here is a quote from Arch Linux:

Why would I not want to use Arch?

You may not want to use Arch, if:

• you do not have the ability/time/desire for a ‘do-it-yourself’ GNU/Linux distribution.
  • you require support for an architecture other than x86_64.
  • you take a strong stance on using a distribution which only provides free software as defined by GNU.
  • you believe an operating system should configure itself, run out of the box, and include a complete default set of software and desktop environment on the installation media.
  • you do not want a rolling release GNU/Linux distribution.
  • you are happy with your current OS.
3 Likes

I must say I have an old laptop with your same CPU and RAM, smaller hdd and arch used to run wonderfully there. Until my younger sun cracked the screen!
You might take the chance to try, maybe just try and learn...
And if you're not confident or have no success, you move to @Bro 's suggestion.

3 Likes