What, in your opinion, prevents Linux to become even harder, better, faster, stronger?

Yes, definitely. There should be a middle ground for making money and doing your beloved job, while being much faster than the rest of the market.

1 Like

Design and engineering by committee is rarely a good choice. Too many differing preferences drag the projects in too many directions, forcing too many compromises trying to please everyone, with the result being that no one is pleased.

2 Likes

Ideally, that's kinda nice system. But certainly no such system is possible, because

1. GNU/Linux is a community with individuals having different tastes and preferences. You can see it yourself in above posts.

2. More importantly, who decides that given funds are enough for given project? Every project has different set of requirements and goals. Also in some projects, full time devs are hired too, while some have only volunteers. Some projects require better dedicated servers, while for some, gitlab/github is enough.

That's all I could think of right now, but certainly there are other reasons too.

3 Likes

Despite posting the same thing at the same time 20 minutes after the previous post, there was no communication between myself or Naman prior to posting. :rofl:
Sometimes it really is just pure coincidence.

1 Like

Fix you phoned each other :grinning: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Collaboration? :+1:

Yeah, I get that it is a complicated thing it is just an idea I had in my head because I want to give to open source and I do when and where I can, but sometimes I wish it would be a little easier to know which projects need my help more or had a way to spread it around or something.

3 Likes

As much as many people would like the opportunity to buy branded merchandise, I doubt this will ever happen. The reason being is that Garuda's focus is not about making money. This has a decidedly dirty feel to it and those involved with the project have no desire to turn a profit from distro involvement.

As long as donations prove adequate to fund server upgrades the distro will be satisfied with that. Over and above covering the distros server costs, contributions will be disbursed to projects Garuda heavily depends on. In my personal opinion Gnome is not a likely candidate, as it is funded by the biggest corporations in the Linux server camp. The most likely candidate to funnel surplus funds towards is the Arch Linux project itself (among others).

These are mostly just my own personal thoughts. However, I feel others involved with the project have similar leanings. So don't quote me on this, as nothing regarding contributions and disbursements has been fully decided at this point. We will cross that bridge when we get to it. We must finish solidifying our server upgrades first, before we get to the issue of which other projects Garuda will give back to from contribution funds.

Simply rest assured that that any contributions to Garuda will be used wisely and responsibly for the furtherance of Garuda and other worthwhile Linux projects.

A big thank you to those already contributing to the project either monetarily, or through providing assistance on the forum.

10 Likes

i couldn't disagree with this more, the fact that GNU+Linux runs as well as it does on and in any way you can imagine while being made by unpaid contributors is amazing.

If something "sucks" it's just your own preference/opinion, don't like something?, make a better one, it's open source after all.

1 Like

Normally Iā€™d agree but this has become a tad out of scope. Many things are too big to fork and ā€œmake betterā€ and submitting patches are often ignored as they donā€™t ā€œfit the direction of the project.ā€ or some other excuse that just translates to they donā€™t care about your edge case.

This topic has become a tad too raw as right now Iā€™m kinda on the cusp of needing to write my own DE or drop mad cash on tons of extra hardware just because functionality that worked for over 20 years was broken due to projects not caring about ā€œsaid edge cases.ā€

2 Likes

Just as an addendum to my point GTK i.e. Gnome has trashed a massive chunk of functionality. If you submit patches, bug reports or suggestions about it you're ignored because again - it doesn't fit the projects direction. i.e. Gnome is trying to be Apple like in its dictation. It's easy to say well Gnome is Gnome's they can do what they want. However they've got a massive chunk of the software eco system now hostage to those decisions. Every application built on GTK has to now choose new kits (if there even is one that fits their needs) and rewrite for it.

Or we have to find others who share our grievances, pray they have the aptitude and time to come on board as a team member to fork these massive monoliths of tech and try to move in a more original open and modular way.

We've seen this with several Firefox forks trying to hold back the flood of stupid privacy issues, stupid UI changes and just over all bad decision making by Mozilla but they are slowly folding here and there because it's just so much effort to undo the main branches dumb crap and too much to continue writing original code for...so we're at sea pushed around by the waves in our dingy...we're capable of paddling but we won't get far despite having the free and open choice to do so.

1 Like

Gnome is fine if you don't use something don't complain, if you don't like the features don't complain.
I dare the users that complain write your own DE within months you will ditch it due to the complainers, believe me been their with my friend Carl Duff 5 years ago.

3 Likes

This is less about dealing with complainers and dealing with just breaking things then expecting everyone to be like OK cool...so that's gone...

With a lot of this stuff it's rather the opposite...at least to know my knowledge. No one was spamming Mozilla about this stale ass looking UI heh. It's them as an organization trying to complete with Microsoft and Apple. Firefox is a good example too because they've been hemorrhaging user base for years, tons of forks trying to quell the issues...but they keep ignoring the reality and imposing changes that just drive more people away.

I'm seeing the same thing with gnome/gtk now. I've never seen more people flocking to KDE before. GTK applications are now gimped worse than when they broke the GTK3 spec weekly. While you see things like LXDE become QXDE shows the consequences of this but that's also hinged on people having the networking and resources to make it happen because these are huge hurdles to overcome.

A lot of this stuff would be like if you had a security team. Since they do that you have to allow them access...but on top of securing your home they constantly move your furniture, nail it down in places you hate, eat your food in your fridge and so on. If you lock them out now you're vulnerable but if you continue to give them access to "update" and secure your home...well they do both when all you want them to do is secure it. i.e. we have lost a ton of choice because security issues force us to update which brings along tons of unwanted bits. As I've said it's like when politicians write bills. It's for CLEAN WATER...ignore the biometric data collection bit on page 304. We've lost a lot of choice and agency just to the need for security. We can't just say Nope not updating my browser they broke all my addons and it looks stupid. Nope not updating my system they broke my drivers. Update or exploit...choice is yours and you're screwed either way :wink: Which is also not a *nix issue, it's sadly the norm on all platforms now. The problem with this in the FOSS world is you get the "well you can fix it." comments. Hell if I can fix this I can fix politics! heh

2 Likes

@YUART in respect to those fancy modern languages :wink:

2 Likes

I think the biggest issue with linux is their devs and users don't want to admit these issues as issues in the first place , they're rude to normies almost as if they don't want normies to start using linux rather than windows and ofcourse why would they it's not like they're gonna benefit financially from this .

Anyways i agree a 100% with u and i guess linux will never replace windows , atleast not like this

And as a end note most people use windows solely because of how easy it is to install cracked apps & games in it . Many People just don't care about their data unless it's banking related or personal info

Nobody earns anything here, regardless of whether beginners or professionals are involved.

We only expect that the users first make themselves knowledgeable, Arch or Garuda Wiki, and only look for solutions on the Internet, we and other Linux forums do not want to clutter the forum with things that have already been explained a thousand times on the net.
The forum helpers are people, not service slaves for M$ switchers.
As they used to say at M$, ask your system admin or a good friend.
With Linux, you are the system admin, done.

Iā€™m closing here because the thread is no longer up to date.

6 Likes

Oh, no you donā€™tā€¦

If the only benefit that people experience through giving is financial, then your world must be a cold, shadowy place with no empathy or love. I pity you.

1 Like