What Are You Views on CentOS Stream?

what are your views on RHEL betraying the community ??? what could possibly change in the world of linux ??? what would be the future ???

I ran it for several months after it was first released...may still have it up on a laptop. I think Red Hat owns CentOS so they can do anything they want with it.

Basically, it's a financial move. Those that need the stability and reliability for mission-critical operations will be forced to move to paid subscriptions to Red Hat, or adopt one of the new clones that are popping up.

CentOS Stream can continue to be the slightly more aggressive testing-ground that exists between Red Hat and Fedora (also owned by Red Hat).

CentOS and/or CentOS Stream are owned by, and exist solely for the benefit of Red Hat. They have the legal right to do anything they want with them.

What do you think about the move?

regards

4 Likes

that just breaks the key rule of Free as in Freedom... even though i prefer fedora, iam just curious about it... like what is the future of fedora :thinking::thinking::thinking:

You are free to use it (CentOS Stream), or Fedora, or not. Red Hat, which is not "free" whatever that means, you need to pay-to-play.

The future of Fedora, last time I looked, is the same as it always has been; the development arm of its owner, Red Hat. Whatever anyone else has to say about Fedora vs. other distributions, it does showcase some of the latest and greatest., i.e. the first top tier distribution shipping with BTRFS as default.

2 Likes

lets see what happens

You are wrong here

Opensuse has btrfs for years

2 Likes

maybe the first to implement that... according to their forum

I had no idea they were defaulting to it. I don't think of Opensuse as being top tier--that being one which serves as the package base for multiple other distributions and derivatives. Such as Debian, or even Slackware. Still, they're one of the oldest, most respected distributions. I remember the joy of receiving their boxed sets with the large, green manuals. Back before they were purchased by Novell, when they were still SuSE and hadn't yet gone into enterprise computing. I stopped running it shortly thereafter.

Loved their forums, and I suspect a lot of their original characters still haunt them. :wink:

regards

4 Likes

First of all I used to be a system architect/senior admin for one of EIG's hosting companies. We ran Cent with cPanel for a couple of reasons.
Number one? No licensing fees on the os, unlike rhel. two, it was stable and very predictable.

Stream is a rolling release. Things break. Especially when you are dealing with something like cPanel deployed on 600,000 servers. (Yes, that is the scale we worked with.) At any given time of day we generated over 3# of the total traffic on the internet from our datacenters. This includes bare metal servers as well as vps instances. This complexity is magnified by the fact that customers want to run every bit of weird web software they can find or have read about. Not just WordPress.

I think a lot of people just don't realize the number of deployed instances of CentOS and how big a deal this is for the webhosting community.

I honestly can't wait for the decision makers to decide what they are going to do, but right now, cPanel runs on Ubuntu LTS, so they are leaning that direction.

Paying for RHEL is not on the table.

4 Likes

looking like they are leaning to ubuntu lts for cpanel support. no decision finalized yet.