Use Ryzen CPU for Garuda but RTX for Windows in Dual Boot condiguration

I am running a Windows 11 system on a B550M DS3h V2 motherboard with Ryzen 5 5600G CPU and 32GB of RAM.

The Windows 11 OS is stored on a 500GB SSD.

I want to install a 500GB SATA SSD and install Garuda on it.

I also want to install a Nvidia RTX 3060 graphics card.

I also want to keep secure boot enabled - although if you guys suggest I can disable it.

I want Garuda to use the CPU alone and not the GPU - because I keep hearing that Nvidia compatibility is bad or troubling and I don;t want updates to break my experience. and I want to use GPU when using Windows 11 because I play games on it and do video editing - premier.

So how do I do this?

This is what ChatGPT said. Is it correct and worth following?

To achieve your desired setup, you can follow these steps:

1. Install the Hardware:
  • Install the 500GB SATA SSD in your system.
  • Install the Nvidia RTX 3060 graphics card.
  1. Prepare for Garuda Linux Installation:
  • Download the Garuda Linux ISO from the official website.
  • Create a bootable USB drive with the Garuda Linux ISO using a tool like Rufus or Balena Etcher.
  1. Install Garuda Linux:
  • Boot your computer from the USB drive containing Garuda Linux.
  • During the installation process, select the 500GB SATA SSD as the installation target for Garuda Linux.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
  1. Configure Garuda Linux to Use Only the CPU:
  • After installing Garuda Linux, you can configure it to use only the integrated GPU in your Ryzen 5 5600G CPU, ignoring the Nvidia RTX 3060. This can be done by modifying the Xorg configuration or by using appropriate environment variables. However, this step might be complex and may require specific knowledge of Linux configuration.
  1. Configure Windows 11 to Use the Nvidia GPU:
  • Windows 11 should automatically detect and use the Nvidia RTX 3060 for graphics-intensive tasks. Make sure to install the latest Nvidia drivers for optimal performance.
  1. Keeping Secure Boot Enabled:
  • Garuda Linux should support Secure Boot, but you might need to enroll the Garuda Linux signing key in your UEFI firmware. This process can vary depending on your motherboard’s firmware. Consult your motherboard’s manual or the Garuda Linux documentation for specific instructions.
  1. Dual Boot Configuration:
  • If you want to set up a dual boot with Windows 11 and Garuda Linux, you’ll need to configure the boot loader (such as GRUB) during the Garuda Linux installation. Make sure to install the boot loader on the EFI partition of your primary drive (the one with Windows 11) to allow for easy switching between operating systems.

More or less.
Most users here would advise Ventoy rather than Balena (fitting name for an oversized software)
But there’s probably nothing special to do, see here
Switching between integrated and dedicated graphics | Garuda Linux wiki

If your device (usually laptop) features 2 graphics cards, Garuda Linux by default only uses your integrated GPU to save power. This article will elaborate on how to “switch” to your dedicated GPU for running GPU intensive applications such as games.

It may be the case you will have to install with the open source driver (“nouveau”).
If you are not using the RTX in Linux, that’s all.
If you want to make full use of it, you will likely need the proprietary driver.
As far as I know, there is indeed a way to keep the secure boot on and sign whatever needs to be signed and enroll the keys in UEFI, but I don’t know how to do that.

1 Like

I would recommend installing Garuda without the 3060 installed in your computer. This way you will start out with the correct settings in your Xorg. This way you don’t have to change it. Then you can try booting into Garuda, the OS shouldn’t have any Nivida drivers installed and then should ignore the 3060 unless you install a driver for it.
Just a guess at what might work as I don’t have a graphics-enabled CPU. Also, the current Nvidia drivers aren’t too bad as I run a 3090 and only use Garuda on my machine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.