Update has killed my system

Well, thanks anyway. Guess I give up and do a new install from live. When I installed Garuda for the first time I left my old Linux Mint $Home untouched, i.e. I installed Garuda with BTRFS formated boot and root partions, but did not firmat the Home partition, only allotted the mountpoint home. That worked fine for 2 weeks. Could that be the problem? Anyway, during the two weeks I learnt a lot so redoing my configuration will be quicker this time. :person_shrugging:t3::neutral_face:

1 Like

Perhaps it might be worth resetting the permissions on your original users home directory.

sudo chown $USER:$USER ~ -R

If you can't log into your original users account to run that command, then substitute your user name in place of $USER and use the full path to the home directory instead of ~.

4 Likes

if ever a help post needs to be stickied , may i please nominate this. I have had several problems similar to the OP and this would be super helpful in the future especially to new linux users like myself.

1 Like

I lost patience and did a new install, again leaving my (big) /Home partition untouched, only binding it to the mountpoint without formatting. And what shall I say: The old setup reappeared in the newly installed Garuda. Since trying Garuda I have these experiences every now and again: Something turns out well and I say to myself: Luckily I do not have to understand it. In any case: I back in business :+1::grin:.

You sound like a relatively advanced Linux user if you understand the usage of bind mounts. That is why it is sad to see you give up so quickly in trying to fix your issue. Rather than simply resorting to the nuke and pave strategegy (a bad Windows habit), it would have been nice to see you find a proper solution. Working through an issue methodically is how you learn to use Arch. This teaches not only yourself how to fix your system, it also teaches others reading the forum how to troubleshoot their own issues as well.

Glad you found a solution, but sadly you learn very little by utilizing that methodology. Thanks for using Garuda and your participation on the forum.

6 Likes

Hey! Of course I understand all that. The problem is that right now I need a working productive system for some work projects. So I couldn't spend more time on trying to understand what was happening.
I do understand that Arch is more challenging than than Mint. And I am accepting that challenge.
Cheers!

3 Likes

I feel you, brother. Having a stable, working and reliable system provides me the means of producing music. When I weigh this against the complexity, challenge, and injury to my music production of having to contend with every couple of months a catastrophic system update, I confess I regret having to migrate elsewhere in the world of linux distros. At some point all the coredump debugging, process traces and UNIX / Linux skills I have aquired these last 25 years as a paid, professional systems administrator still fail to restore a working system outside of attempting to downgrade a ridiculous pile of packages from my local pacman pkg cache.

Better dependency checking and a wiser policy of linking old versions of shared libraries would eliminate some of the deficits that are the cause of so many complaints about updates destroying systems. Never encountered anything like these problems on a BSD...

At some point and outside of the core operating system -- where it might make more sense having shared libraries and dynamic linking -- dynamic linking and shared libraries only lead to excessive complexity and 'dependency hell'. Their benefit was saving space. Weigh that against a growingly-unmanageable spiderweb of library links in /usr/lib. Crazy.

Yet gimme a distro where all the userland apps are static binaries with everything baked in -- with Terabyte hard drives on the super-cheap, the space saving means little any more. It might take like 25 DVDs and like a day to install, but hell, I'm in... Or hell, let's get creative and imagine a hyper-postmodern future for Linux where there is a distro where everything is a versioned and symbolic link to some other thing -- that would be a gas! Like if even a text file only contained symbolic links to like characters in a character set instead of reproductions of those characters. Bit rot be gone! All the signifiers no longer signify anything uniquely but instead refer to something else and then they all get entangled and intertwined to the point that nothing is extractable nor modifiable without damaging every other component. dynamic linking that leads to static death.

F.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.