Update giving dependency conflicts. and some other issues

Greetings. Maybe i messed up something (again). I am facing quite a few issues. Before a few days i tried installing microsoft teams through software center. No error. But after installing I cannot open software center at all (no errors). I faced same issue today while installing ttf-microsoft fonts. Those were not a major issue as i can do without them but now I am not being able to update.

sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace qca with extra/qca-qt5? [Y/n] y
warning: rare-git: local (1.5_beta.r5.gbe25abe-1) is newer than chaotic-aur (1.5_beta2.r5.gf8b467c-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: removing 'poppler' from target list because it conflicts with 'poppler-git'
:: poppler-git and poppler are in conflict. Remove poppler? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'poppler=21.06.1' required by poppler-qt5 

Previously I tried resolving(removed mentioned packages and followed few archwiki guides) and thought maybe there was some package error or I did something wrong. So i went back to snapshot before 5 days when everything was good. But now my application Launcher which used to be on far left is on Rightmost corner and I have some unknown 'Gray' icon in Launcher Dock (Like a deleted package). Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :smile:
those pkg upgrafe errors are just same packages. just from a different repo(qca-qt5) or the git(development) version. so you can say yes to that while upgrading. As for the software center aka Add/remove software aka Pamac (AUR helper) as it is called.. is not rebuilt for pacman v6( the package manager for Arch) and hence is having errors. so for time being use paru which is preinstalled. do your updates with paru -Syu as paru uses same options as pacman. other than that I see no obvious problem. you can install teams with paru too. For the dock thingy.. just remove/unpin the widget with no icon and again add the widget which you want. should be pretty easy.
Regards.

2 Likes

It would be a good idea to find out which package actually needs this as it seems to be a new dependency. This prevents installation since another package requires poppler=21.06.1 :eyes:

1 Like
sudo paru -Syu
[sudo] password for ****:
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
multilib is up to date
:: Replace qca with extra/qca-qt5? [Y/n] y
warning: rare-git: local (1.5_beta.r5.gbe25abe-1) is newer than chaotic-aur (1.5_beta2.r5.gf8b467c-1)
warning: removing 'poppler' from target list because it conflicts with 'poppler-git'
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'poppler=21.06.1' required by poppler-qt5

I get the same error. I am sure there are few updates as i went back to 5 day old snapshot

i did check that and it is being used by bunch of packages

removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler' required by cups-filters
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler' required by gdal
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler' required by kde-servicemenus-pdf
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler>=0.24.0' required by libreoffice-still
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-glib-git
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-qt5
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler' required by texlive-bin

:slight_smile: if i am checking things the right way though

for now you can ignore upgrading poppler by --ignore flag and then poppler with upgrade command

Yes.. I was able to have a system update by ignoring multiple packages. But is this a solution? Will I face some critical issue later? and will I have to ignore these packages every time i perform a update?

I don’t know why you’d have this installed, so let’s try to replace it with poppler:

sudo pacman -S poppler
sudo pacman -Syu

The first command installs poppler, the second completes the update.

The first command may fail due to something, so post the error.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Installing libelf (0.185-1) breaks dependency 'libelf=0.184'

sudo pacman -S poppler
:: installing poppler (21.06.1-1) breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-glib-git
:: installing poppler (21.06.1-1) breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-qt5

This is the error i got :frowning:
I tried updating the mentioned packages individually

sudo pacman -S poppler-glib-git
:: removing poppler breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-qt5
sudo pacman -S poppler-qt5
:: installing poppler (21.06.1-1) breaks dependency 'poppler=21.05.0' required by poppler-glib-git

Try using sudo SKIP_AUTOSNAP=1 pacman -Syu as mentioned in another post by filo see if that works

Thanks. That solved for the timeshift issue on update

Ahh, there is poppler :smiley:

core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
warning: libelf: ignoring package upgrade (0.184-1 => 0.185-1)
warning: ignoring package libelf-0.185-1
warning: cannot resolve "libelf=0.185-1", a dependency of "elfutils"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      elfutils

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] y

Packages (17) blender-17:2.93.0-2  freeglut-3.2.1-2  krita-4.4.3-4  librsvg-2:2.50.7-1  mintstick-1.4.5-1  nnn-4.1.1-1  opencolorio-2.0.1-2
              opencolorio1-1.1.1-3  poppler-21.06.1-1  poppler-glib-21.06.1-1  poppler-qt5-21.06.1-1  pystring-1.1.3.git1-1
              signal-desktop-5.4.0-1  timeshift-20.11.1+3+g08d0e59-4  util-linux-2.37-1  util-linux-libs-2.37-1  whoogle-git-0.5.2_r374.g09efd62-1

Total Download Size:   253,68 MiB
Total Installed Size:  878,87 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        9,49 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
LANG=C pacman -Qi poppler
Name            : poppler
Version         : 21.06.0-1
Description     : PDF rendering library based on xpdf 3.0
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://poppler.freedesktop.org/
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : libpoppler.so=111-64  libpoppler-cpp.so=0-64
Depends On      : libjpeg  gcc-libs  cairo  fontconfig  openjpeg2  lcms2  nss  curl
Optional Deps   : poppler-data: highly recommended encoding data to display PDF documents with certain encodings and characters [installed]
Required By     : libreoffice-fresh  poppler-glib  poppler-qt5
Optional For    : ranger
Conflicts With  : poppler-qt3<21.06.0  poppler-qt4<21.06.0

Maybe solved (Unsure :))
The problem was with some package used for scanner I guess. Not that i use one but maybe I had it installed during system installation just in case.
For solution:
I removed all packages which needed the problematic package as dependency

Solution is (for me)
https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/update-giving-dependency-conflicts-and-some-other-issues/9176/17?u=sgs

:crossed_fingers: Hope you a have a working snapshot. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

My original issue was not snapshot. Rather package conflict. The timeshift snapshot issue was something i encountered today and didnt take long with some help from forum. I still have an issue of software center (GUI) Not responding after installing few softwares. I faced it while installing microsoft teams but didnt encounter anything such when installing jetbrains idea ultimate. Maybe it is a dependency issue again and i will keep looking at it to the best of my ability :slight_smile:
Ps: Strangely.. I am encountering such issue whenever i try to install packages from Microsoft :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Is anyone else facing the same issue as me??

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.