Uninstall grub, is it possible?

I’d argue that if you want to break down and fully customise an Arch-based system then you probably don’t want something that’s explicitly opinionated like Garuda. Trying to un-do everything that the Garuda maintainers have put in place is kind of missing the point of the distribution.

Arch and EndeavourOS already exist as unopinionated and less opinionated alternatives respectively.

4 Likes

I agree, but you can't stop people from expecting to have it all ways. They want the glizty visuals and easy installation, but they still want to run their system on 2 GB's or ram using ext4 drives and LILO. :rofl:

4 Likes

If you really are an advanced Linux user, you don't need to use timeshift/snapper.

Move to systemd-boot, remove GRUB then just use a 3rd party app for imaging your ssd to a separate storage on a regular basis.

I myself limited my timeshift snapshot to just one (for quick restores in the event of broken updates), then image my entire system using Acronis True Image 2020. To make this system compatible with it, I use ext4 for my entire system, not BTRFS.

With this, I have no need to start from scratch for installing Garuda Linux. Once I purchase a new PC, I'll just restore from my saved image.

I don't seek the support of Garuda devs for the Frankenstein system that I made, and so should everyone who chose this path.

3 Likes

Woof. That does not seem worth it.

Why not just set up your own automated backups with rsync? Using a third party app sounds worse somehow.

1 Like

Like I said, it is the path I chose for myself and you have no right to question my choice. I have not demanded any support from Garuda devs, I'm not harming anyone.

I don't use BTRFS as that FS caused me to lose tons of data years ago. The sting remains in my mind, causing me not to trust that FS. I won't touch it with a 1000 mile pole, so ext4 it is.

I'm using Acronis True Image as I purchased it many years ago and still works for imaging ext4 partitions. I'm just practical with my purchases.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm done with my post. I won't debate with you what path you wish to choose with regards to the use of Garuda Linux.

2 Likes

Take it easy, I didn’t mean offense. I was just curious. You can use NTFS for all I care.

You misunderstood my tone. I’m not trying to start a debate with you. You are obviously welcome to do whatever you want with your computer. If I insulted you I apologize.

2 Likes

That’s all well and good. Certainly applicable to the majority of Garuda users, maybe, who feel no such need. But when was the last time you did not see a group of people more inclined to rip the guts out of something just to see how it ticks, than Linux users? Particularly those wishing to know what goes into a distribution.

Then there is a second group, usually a bit more advanced, who might want to alter one or two skel/conf/settings explicit to a particular distribution like one of Garuda spins that makes it a little handier for their use, and it is not difficult for anyone who knows how these things are put together, but the user has to carry all the risk. Doing so can lead to breakage the next time a developer changes a distribution-specific framework.

The differences between say, Garuda dr4gonized and a nicely appointed Arch + Plasma, is night and day. You can make them look alike and function alike, but under the hood are many differences.

There are major reasons for this and I’ll leave those for others to expound upon, because I’m an old man, and old men go to bed at 9 PM so we can get up at 2 AM. If you are not quite sure what that means, then you are not yet old enough.
:wink:

Oh yeah, 83 days, no nasty, smelly cigarettes. I rock. :wink:

10 Likes

Good for you! :+1: :+1: Keep it up! :muscle:

4 Likes

snapper is not a blocker. But dependency of garuda-common-setting on garuda-hooks on grub makes it a blocker. I can live with my own manual snapshots but I cannot really get rid of grub.

as I said in my other post garuda-common-settings depend on garuda-hooks that depend on grub.
I want to keep garuda-common-settings thus I have to keep grub ... :unamused:

He's looking for a challenge, and asking anyone for pointers to save him time. Nothing wrong with that, and he's not asking the Garuda devs to spend their time on it either. Any pointer can save him a lot of time.

2 Likes

You could create a empty grub package and then add it ignore in pacman.conf.

That way the dependency would be satisfied without having grub installed.

Then you would want to mask any grub-related hooks.

9 Likes

And this, gentle beings, is how we hack, hack, hacked Linux back-when. :smiley:

Apparently @ dalto has not lost the skill.
:wink:

7 Likes

If we’re going this route then pacman -Rdd grub . :grin:

4 Likes

It will just come back later if you do that. It will forever haunt you. :wink:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.