Unable to write mp4 video file to Flash drive

That’s no way to learn Linux. You had might as well go back to Windows if you’re unwilling to try any further, especially with such knowledgeable, experienced people attempting to help you.

I dislike seeing newcomers get off to a poor start, that’s all.

regards

5 Likes

You need to just change ownership of the folder. I was also beginner about 1 year ago. I change my os from windows 8.1 to linux. At that time I don't know ABC of linux. Very first I used the 'Linux Mint' where I get general idea, how linux is different and how to deploy some apps.

And even I want to tell you about my self, Till yesterday I don't know about what fstab is !!! and today I do some searches on google edit fstab file to permanently mount my partition. But for that some google search and some interest to learn new thing is needed. If you are not interested in learning new things then I want to tell you that Windows is better for you where mouse can do all the things with clicks.

As you are beginner I want to tell you to spend some time on debian based distros like,

1. Linux Mint
  2. Ubuntu
  3. MX Linux

and then try to put your hand on Arch Linux based distros.

4 Likes

Hi @imrtls00,

First of all, a good habit is to post the output of the error completely (from what you typed to the end). Is this all the line says? Doesn’t the next line show related message?

See, the username is imrtls00 and you tried to copy to “/run/media/user/…”.

Did you try?

Again partial info. What did you do next? Clicked something? Typed something? Importantly, on which folder did you do this?

You don’t need the permissions for other files there. You need the permissions for the folder. So,

ls /run/media/imrtls00 | grep "Videos"

Why can’t you just use Dolphin? You entered commands wrongly, got errors, didn’t quoted the errors completely…

Just to copy files, Dolphin is great and easy :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I have to congratulate you on your rigorous pursuit of Linux knowledge–I see you took fstab to heart–but:wink:

While a Debian-based user with some amount of experience might appreciate the nuances of Arch vs. Debian, it could be easier to start with a (mostly) clean slate with Arch or Arch-based distributions. Not only will they get to learn the ⒸArch Way from the beginning, but they will also have the opportunity to learn how their system is put together and the relationship of its parts to the whole. Of course, that implies something other than an easy-installer, although I have nothing against them per se, but I do not view them as a good teaching tool.

Then again, I come from an extensive Debian (vanilla) background with some Slackware experience prior-to, and though it was a little difficult at first to find my way around the Arch world, as chickenshit as I am, it caught on pretty quickly.

I dunno. It’s a toss-up, maybe. I met an 8-9 year old in the Arch Forums a few years back. He’d just finished a by-the-wiki vanilla Arch install at that time, and I believe he is still around. It was his first Linux distribution.

Kids like that scare me, they really do. :wink:

Anyway, maybe Linux is like relationships. Instead of looking for a new one, just learn the one you’re with?

CSN:
"There’s a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can’t be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you’re with.
Love the one you’re with."

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for helping...
I appreciate such healthy community... :heart_eyes:
I made the switch yesterday, and I've played with Linux for few hours now.
By giving up I didn't mean to ditch Linux and roll back to windows, I'm planning to stay.
I have transfered all my data here and everything works like butter. I installed a lot of apps and everything is running smoothly and fastly...

:left_speech_bubble: Here is one quality that one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it. — Napoleon Hill

4 Likes

I have always appreciated Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" advice. My mother bought a copy for my father many years ago, and he told me it was the only get-rich-fast type book--and she had bought him many--that really worked. There is something about written plans that make the objective concrete. I truly believe it.

He uses, as example, how to get to Kansas City and I have used it to actually plan a trip to Kansas City--literally--and it always works.

Those of you who have bought and read Hill's book--a very slim book--know what I'm referencing. Those that have not, should.

Thanks for the reference. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does the actual filename have special characters? You won't be able to write in FAT32 if that's the case. FAT32 has filename restrictions ( among other restrictions ).

I don't think so, but the problem was with only those 2 video files, everything else works like a charm, later I deleted those files...