Unable to boot after installing nvidia proprietary drivers

I'm using a desktop, looks like this is written for people using laptops, does it apply to desktops as well?

In some cases desktops require special boot params. Generally laptops require them far more often.

I have one desktop mobo that does require the iommu=off param to work properly. Some users find that parameter helpful.

1 Like

I haven't had this issue with any debian distros but I'll try it

Search your motherboard model online and add "Arch Linux" to the search terms.

1 Like

I'm finding a few articles but they're all about ryzen 3000 before/as they added support for it, but nothing about nvidia deivers

although I do see a reddit thread where people had a similar looking issue with the same same brand laptop looking into that as a :crossed_fingers: potential :crossed_fingers: fix

Don't know what to tell you, I have the same mobo and it works fine with an AMD graphics card.

Lesson being, don't buy Nvidia if you intend to run Linux.

2 Likes

It works fine with debian, so I guess I'll try using manjaro and then just go back to some debian based distro

They use older kernels.

Have you tested different kernels such as the LTS or linux-mainline or simply the linux kernel?

3 Likes

I tried using the lts kernel and got the same errors.
and the newest nvidia driver says Fixed a driver installation failure on Linux kernel 5.11 release candidates, where the NVIDIA kernel module failed to build with error in it's release highlights so it should work, but I'm going to try different kernels

Mainline kernel will include the newest fixes, of course that also means it may introduce other new and exciting bugs. :smiley:

2 Likes

okay so good news, I feel like an idiot lol, so I tried LTS again and same issue, I tried normal Linux kernel and boom seems to be working, going to a little bit of testing but I think that's all it took lol, was just about to give up if this didn't work lol

okay looks like it's working I'll close this and just open a new one if it comes back after reinstall since I made this install quickly just to test stuff, next to figure out why steam is having issues