Unable install from AUR - rate limit reached

Fresh install. I've ran system updates successfully a couple times, so pacman works just fine, but I'm unable to install any programs from AUR because I get this error:

pamac build plex-media-server-plexpass
Failed to query https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc/?v=5&type=info&arg[]=plex-media-server-plexpass from AUR: Rate limit reached
Failed to query https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc/?v=5&type=search&arg=plex-media-server-plexpass from AUR: Rate limit reached
Error: target not found: plex-media-server-plexpass

Google says it's an error about trying to check for updates too often like over 100 times per 24 hours, but I haven't tried to update AUR that many times. Has anybody ran into this before?

Some essential software I use are only on AUR, so this is a problem.

Whatever you're doing is being interpreted as abusing the AUR. Therefore, please stop. Then, try again later.

How do I find out what it is? How long should I wait before trying again? I gave it a day and it was still limited.

Are you routing through a VPN or something like that? could be a blocked address too many people are using

No. Not that I know of.

have you tried with another AUR helper?
Try trizen, or paru.

4 Likes

Are you using an update reminder/checker (like the KDE Arch Update Plasmoid)?

The AUR allows 4000 requests per day per IP address. That's one request every 21.6 seconds. Something is really off the leash - You will probably be able to see that kind of activity with a tool like IPTRAF or IFTOP (Both in the repositories, so no ironic need to wait for the AUR to let you back in)

1 Like

I tried yay, same issue. I'll give those others a go.

4000 requests? That's crazy. It's a fresh installation, so I don't think anything is requesting that much. I'll try those tools.

Paru lets me at least review the build. Trying to figure out how to actually build it.

Edit: ok just needed to quit the review and it started building! Thanks for the suggestion! Paru seems ok. Plex installed just fine and I confirmed it's working.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.