The Ultimate guide to Linux

I have certainly done my best to do so. It involves effort and the willingness to make sacrifices.

We all have our own priorities when it comes to privacy. I won’t judge you for having different priorities than me and I would appreciate the same in return.

That is true. However, what they will do is add the fact that I accessed your document to the cache of data they have about me.

Instead of saying “no offence”, you should consider just not saying something offensive in the first place. The words no offense don’t erase the offensive thing that immediately precedes them. :wink:

Use a password manager such as bitwarden or keepass.

4 Likes

Check this out:
https://pad.garudalinux.org/drive/#/2/drive/view/YhS+wpHIdfExbDkzxRr0jtz9LNILQ1jP8eXsGG71LSE/

1 Like

A few random comments:

• In Fedora, running grub-mkconfig has a different result than when the updates happen automatically because of the transition to BLS. So if you run it manually like that, you might find that next time you get a kernel update it changes.
  • You might consider having a section for ubuntu in the debian document. There is a lot of ubuntu specific stuff in that document that won't work on debian
  • cd ~/folder-address does not open a folder in a terminal. It switches to a folder inside your home directory. The ~ indicates your home directory. (From debian doc)
  • On Arch-based distros, this: visudo: no editor found(editor path = /usr/bin) | Spencer's Technical Diaries should never be needed as /bin is a symlink to /usr/bin
2 Likes

And they’re not meant to. Just like the words following *But…"
Or so I heard. :wink:

I will consider these in my next update.
How frequently would you suggest that I should update them, I will be doing it in Gdrive,
frequently, but I will update the crypt drive maybe once in every 15 days or so.
Thank you.

But I also got a suggestion from Reddit of using Github?

Use Github Pages instead of Google Docs. They let you customize it a lot more (since it’s literally just a website), it has automatic version control, and you can even write the articles in markdown and convert them (pacman -S markdown or apt install markdown, etc, then go :%!markdown in vim and it auto-converts the entire file to HTML syntax). It’s free and while Github is technically owned by Microsoft, it’s still a lot more open than Google Docs. Plus you can always switch to Gitlab or even self-host if they do something stupid.

Totally up to you. I was just sharing some feedback after reading through them.

IMO, github/gitlab is a much better choice than either google drive or cryptpad.

I also think it would be more accessible if you used markdown instead of Microsoft Word format. Especially given the nature of the content.

3 Likes

That would make it useful for everyone - also everyone can participate! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just for anyone interested in this thread, i just wanted to link to another ultimate guide to Linux. Y'all should skim through this, it's pretty comprehensive.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

8 Likes

Thanks, I will check out GitHub

Building on what @fbodymechanic referenced, no matter how tongue-in-cheek... :wink:

You know, @Austin, if you could link your guide tips 'n' tricks to corresponding articles in the Arch Wiki, the penultimate guide, and maybe separate them from ones that are solely an opinion, it is my belief that your Guide might prove itself as a worthy scholarly endeavor.

Just one writer to another.
:wink:

3 Likes

This week I will try to make its github version. :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.