The case of kernels dissapearing from GRUB after deleting some timeshift snapshots

I think no, because already everything is mounted at /, /home/, etc. So suppose if you make a simlink (drag & drop), should it address /run/timeshift/backup/@/home/… or simply /home/…? Not only simlinks, if you set a wallpaper and it’s gone.

1 Like

I think there are a couple of points of confusion here

• That “root” you are seeing isn’t part of dolphin letting you access the root filesystem. It is a device link showing the contents of the btrfs partition. The partition is, unfortunately, named “root” which makes things damn confusing. Normally, dolphin would show something like sda2 there but because that partition has an actual name it uses that instead.
  • Second, it isn’t showing you the contents of /run/timeshift/backup. It is letting you know that the partition is currently mounted at /run/timeshift/backup.
2 Likes

I thought you named it with a partition manager. For me, I named it “Garuda Partition”. There was no name for it before. By default, Dolphin was showing “…GB partition”.

This is something new. I always asumed it to be /. Also, for you, on the address bar, Dolphin may show only the name “root”, unless you click the address bar to expand it. I think even I may have got confused if this thread was not there. This new behavior is just confusing the end-user.

Anyways, I am testing the workaround I suggested. Now I tried two reboots, and not seeing any "@"s. I’ll keep on checking it.

Edit: This again showed "@"s after opening Timeshift. I don’t know a permanent solution for this…

1 Like

It is taking the name from the partition table if there is one. I did a recent install with default “erase disk” settings and it named it “root”. If yours is named something else it should show that.

Just add a link to / in places and use that. I am not sure that relying on the “device” as a way to access / made sense in the first place when you consider how btrfs works. What it is showing you is the real root of the device. Conversely, if you want it to be consistent, can you permanently mount the true root of the partition somewhere? Does that impact timeshift?

4 Likes

I think it doesn’t change anything. Even if mounted so, Timeshift would again mount the same way as backup there. The fact is, the same device/partition is already mounted many times within itself, so one more time may not make any difference.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.