Systemd or not to systemd

To systemd or not to systemd, that is the question. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Seriously folks, I get conflicting arguments about "security flaws" with systemd and problematic or perhaps I should say inefficient system processing (bottlenecking) associated with systemd. I know some distros have gone to non systemd. What i'm most curious about is the future of this linux distro. Will it incorporate an equivalent but alternative to systemd? Will it use systemd for stability's sake? What's your take on the subject? Thanks in advance for your opinions. :smiley:

1 Like

Systemd is great and does not deserve the hate it gets. For everday use its really useful and I don't see how other inits are "better" - I tried some of them. If Systemd can do things I would usually end up installing other, 3rd party tools for :man_shrugging:
Use what you want, thats what Linux is about. This distro wont use anything but Systemd though :wink:

9 Likes

Nope, not gonna happen.

8 Likes

Name one that has gone mainstream. Not Devuan, not Void, who?

Google the name Lennart Poettering and discover everything else, besides SystemD this major player has developed that you also use.
:smiley:

5 Likes

I’m a moderator for a non systemd Distro because it gives me choice, what it does not give is easier functionality Runit, openrc, S6. are all great management systems,
So is systemd. really not much to choose performance wise, that is where it ends.
Systemd is the easiest to use it is straightforward has excellent logs so simple. fully supported.
The others have the same features but live in the dark ages of the 80s 90s outdated ideals and need extra support.

So its all about personal choice

7 Likes

Like mandog, I like the fact that there is choice of init systems in the Linux world. May not be easier to use, but since I do very run of the mill things on my computer, it's not too difficult to sort out with some reading.

So my multiboot PC includes Artix, Void. PCLinuxOS and MX installs.

On the other hand, I wouldn't ask Garuda developers to provide a non-systemd alternative. I believe** they make use of systemd's functionality to run some of Garuda's more user-friendly features not found in pure Arch, eg the new garuda-maintenance tool or the additional tasks (eg timeshift backups) you see taking place when you run a

sudo pacman -Syu

If you want a Arch-based non-systemd distro, just go check out Artix.

** I might be wrong since I don't really dig into the techie side of my distros, I just run them. But I know @tbg was exploring systemd hooks since his days in Manjaro forum, and he finally got the freedom to explore that here.

3 Likes

Certainly all the major distros are using systemd at this point.

The largest desktop distros not using systemd by default are probably MX Linux and Slackware.

MX is far from major and Slackware is, sadly, no longer the major distro it once was.

4 Likes

Yes, sadly. I still miss it, but nothing ever changes there. Probably their forte, but they no longer have much sway over the direction Linux takes.

4 Likes

I installed it a couple of years ago and was surprised by how similar it was to the Slackware I used in the 90s. Of course, the packages were newer and there was many more of them but it is basically trapped in the past at this point. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Yes its just a hobby distro as it was in the 90s, Gentoo has to a certain extent gone the same it had its heyday in the early 2000s and now like all the non systemd distros just treads water, they have ignored what the majority of users want.

3 Likes

gentoo has added substantial support for systemd in recent years. They offer a full set of systemd profiles and even have stage3 tarballs for systemd so you can install a systemd system directly.

1 Like

I had Sabayon (essentially systemd gentoo with binary packages + their own package management system to handle the same - but with the freedom to use portage if you chose, which I didn't) in my distro collection until a few months ago when the repos died with their move/transition into MoccacinoOS.

I decided not to bother with Moccacino and thus culled my collection by 1. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

yes i'm aware but its to little too late as a ex Gentoo user the benefits over Arch is to small to warrant Gentoo any more as a big player, remember most of the hate came from their camp in the beginning.

Artix has filled in the gaps in a big way the whole Artix philosophy is based on word of mouth and the freedom on Linux they support 3 independent alternative inits giving the user a choice of init

2 Likes

Aren’t you also, or did you also, run what is it, Salix Linux, or another based on Slackware, or am I thinking of a different OS you’ve got on your spindle?

1 Like

Thanks to all who tossed in their two cents (or whatever coin you have). I saw many comments about non-systemd oses and a few about systemd. While I, like some of you, have used other flavors of Linux; still I come back to arch-based as my personal choice. Ubuntu, Solus, Elementary, MX Linux, etc. were fine but just not my thing I suppose. Manjaro & Garuda on the other hand is like having your best friend give you hug even if you don't really need one. My take. I don't IT servers or develope like some of you here. I do recognize your experience and appreciate what you do. Thank you for your take. Cya !!!

3 Likes

Yes. I had Slackel, which runs on a mixture of slackware-current and salix (ie slackware-stable based) Repos.

It was a rolling distro, and unlike slackware or its other derivatives , it had its own GUI installer instead of the ncurses one used by slackware. Hated the latter because I couldn't disable the step that reformats swap partition (when you multiboot you don't want swap uuid to change) or choose not to install bootloader.

I kept it going until around 2019, but once in a while an update would mess things up, maybe because of the current Vs salix repo coexistence. It was tiring trying to plough through the slackware-current update log site (can't recall now what it's called ) to try to sort stuff out , and the sole distro Dev does not answer forum questions that quickly.

So I regretfully decided to pull the plug on it to free up my time. But it was always on the fringes of my collection, and I can't say I'm familiar with slackware at all.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.