System Failes to boot after I install the Nvidia Drivers

Try some other kernels. Almost all kernels will provide a more recent version than 5.15 (the LTS release is annual). See if you can find one that works with your GPU and has a more up-to-date kernel version.

Regular Linux kernel:

sudo pacman -Syu linux linux-headers

Mainline:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-mainline linux-mainline-headers

Hardened:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-hardened linux-hardened-headers

Bore:

sudo pacman -Syu linux-bore linux-bore-headers

Those are all in the normal repositories so you can install them without having to build from the AUR. Try a few of them out, let us know what you think.

1 Like

Ok, I've installed all the Kernels mentioned, booted into them and then to make sure they work, and then installed the Nvidia drivers and rebooted. They all kernel panic and fail to boot after the Nvidia install.

Is there a way to install a specific older kernel version of saying the Zen1 Kernel before this issue showed up?

Perhaps give the linux-mainline kernel a try.

The driver module isn't building correctly. If you look in the log file it mentions you should see what the problem it's, or at least an indication of what to look at next.

I tried the mainline kernel, the same issue was after attempting to install the Nvidia Drivers.

Hmm on the Build error What logs would contain the info I need to troubleshoot this issue?

I think this is the log you should check.

1 Like

Use ibt=off kernel parameter. Nvidia STILL didn't fix this.

3 Likes

Ok, I'll try that, I did see that when researching the issue but lost the post and couldn't find it again.

Thanks Ill try that next

@mrvictory so turning the ibt=off do I just add it to my grub Linux default line like this?

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Garuda"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet quiet splash rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0 resume=UUID=4cc1dab2-ceba-4529-a3fb-1d4e54fd74f9 loglevel=3 ibt=off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Do that, then run sudo update-grub.

Ok, I did do that and rebooted and now I took a new snapshot and tried to install the DKMS NVidia drivers. Below is the make file error, I am researching it, but if someone already knows the answer please speak up.

DKMS make.log for nvidia-515.57 for kernel 5.15.53-2-lts (x86_64)
Tue Jul 12 09:22:02 CDT 2022
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.15.53-2-lts/build'
make[1]: cc: No such file or directory
warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
The kernel was built by: gcc (GCC) 12.1.0
You are using:           cc (GCC) 12.1.0
make[1]: make: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1871: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/515.57/build] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.15.53-2-lts/build'
make: *** [Makefile:82: modules] Error 2

I'd try to boot to a TTY in the updated / not working system (not after restoring the snapshot) and:

sudo pacman -S linux-lts-headers

then

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
1 Like

Ok I'll try that next

I'm a little dense. I guess I couldn't get booted into a text mode to try your suggestion. So how do I get it in that mode?

When in the grub line you normally use, press button E instead of hitting Enter, and add a 3 (with a space before) at the end of the line starting with linux. Then ctrl+x.

1 Like

Oh, I am dense. LOL ok. Will do another install and try that, my question on your command line is for the lots Kernel that one actually works with the Nvidia drivers but the 5.18.10.zen1-1 does not work with the drivers. So why install the lts headers? Just curious is all kind of like to know why. like a three-year-old, but why?

This missing directory is provided by the kernel headers, which are used by the dkms to build the modules.
The headers are normally installed along with the kernels, but who knows, maybe something went wrong somewhere.
The second command does what the Garuda Assistant does to install the drivers, but you can launch it from the command line.
Just an idea anyway! :blush:

1 Like

Ok I get that, Ok Ill give it a shot thanks for all the information there.

Ok, that didn't work either. So to refresh, I reinstalled the Dragonized new thumb drive, complete wipe. Then I used the Nvidia-All post to install the latest drivers, just trying something new. The instructions from here Nvidia-all - Frogging-Family drivers (guide - installation). No errors this time as from before with the Make errors I was getting. So I figured good news, right? Wrong. Rebooted and the kernel panicked, so I rebooted again and proceeded to edit the boot options, and I added the ibt=off to the end of the commands and booted, got a boot error invalid option? What that's strange there. Since it was during boot no text, but if y'all need the text ill recreate the experiment tomorrow when I get home from work. so I had to restore from a snapshot and here I am sending y'all a new message.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.