System broke after update: "[FAILED] Failed to start Light Display Manager"

After the update (sudo pacman -Syyu) and reboot, this is all. I tried also sudo pacman -Syu octopi (as some warning was on the desktop before all this).

sudo lightdm does not work from the tty (control alt f2) either.

Also: NONE of the snapshots historically do not work: chosing whatever snapshot from the past with enter on the GRUB list: just a flash blink and nothing happens :confused: looks like i'm totally borked and i needed this machine right away. This is the first time Garuda has broke on me unexpected.

Is there any way to get my system back? :confused:

I can't do that inxi -Faz as i can't get to the desktop :confused:

1 Like

Use live ISO and use garuda-chroot.

2 Likes

do you have nvidia graphics card ?

3 Likes

Yes and proprietary drivers installed.

which card?

1 Like

Geforce GTX 650

@heidi on the Grub boot loader screen, can you select the top most option and press "e"?

After that, go to the line where it says "vmlinuz" and add "3" at the end, then press ctrl+x. Your system should now boot into a terminal. Log in and do: mhwd -li and then proceed to uninstall whatever video-nvidia version you have via sudo mhwd -r pci [name].

Example:

╰─λ mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
           video-linux            2021.08.29                true            PCI
video-nvidia-prime-render-offload            2021.08.29               false            PCI

╰─λ sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-prime-render-offload

After that, reboot your system and you should be able to boot for now.

4 Likes

Yes! i can press "e" there, but where to add that 3 exactly? Found the line of vmlinuz, but there is vmlinuz-linuz-zen there do i add the 3 after the zen word? There is lots of stuf after that zen word though, which looks like ending at subvol=@

Or do i add the 3 after that part or something else? Thanks already so much. I'm astonished at your great assistance at Garuda!

Add it all the way at the end of the line, make sure there's a space between the 3 and the previous command (-line parameter).

I don't want to mess up my system anymore, so i want to make sure. Here is what i see. The lines kinda cut and continue so i'm confused on the specific "end of the line".

is the right place that "rw " ?

After loglevel=3. So ... loglevel=3 3

1 Like

Yes! Now i'll try it then.

Ok! Does this look good to go?

Looks good to me.

1 Like

it resulted to this. is it still cool? reboot?

Assuming you have an internet connection, install video-linux via sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux and then run the command before that again.

1 Like

Yes i have an internet connection. So, now i do FIRST sudo mhwd -i pci video-linux

and then i after that run again sudo mhwd -r pci nvidia-video-dkms (?)

Yes.

A post needs to have at least 10 characters, so I'm adding random stuff.

1 Like