Stutter/lag due to notifications(banners)

Hello Everyone,

I am Facing screen Stutters/lags and frame drops in Games when i receive notification (banners), whether i am playing a game or watching a video on YT(firefox) there is a Stutter/lag in the video when i receive a notification and i have confirmed this by enabling DND while i play games to avoid random FPS drops

Operating System: Garuda Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.84.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.13.9-zen1-1-zen (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 6 × Intel® Core™ i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 23.4 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

I was having heaps of issues with mouse stuttering during normal computer usage (not gaming) have switched over to the latest LTS kernel and it seems to have now stopped, not sure if the current zen kernel is having issues with some systems.

EDIT: Just noticed its now back, i think it may be related to the session (desktop session) going to sleep and when it comes back there is stuttering.

I think its ought to happen, even in windows if you minimize your game and maximize it, it lags for a few seconds. As your game's resources gets constrained because its not the "active" windows anymore.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

1 Like

For mouse stutter you could try running this script:

#!/bin/bash
#reset all of USB1/2/3 ports
for i in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/[uoex]hci_hcd/*:*; do
  [ -e "$i" ] || continue
  echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/unbind"
  echo "${i##*/}" > "${i%/*}/bind"
done

This will reset all the devices on your USB ports.

If it works. then create an alias to invoke it whenever your mouse begins to lag. Not a fix, but an adequate workaround I’ve used in the past.

Also, be sure your mouse firmware is up to date.

Do not run the script if a file transfer is currently taking place to a USB drive.

Seems like an adequate workaround as well.

4 Likes

is there any setting or program/application that can disable notifications if a specific program/app runs

Google exists, do your own homework we won't do it for you.
Like comeon dude can't you google it yourself?
"How to disable banners when a specific program is running"
that's all it takes.
Like god helps those who help themselves
Try to help yourself if you cant, Everyone would be more than pleased to help you out.

Advice - Arch needs a lot of self work, you can't rely on other peoples as there could be hundreds of different hardware/software combinations. This isn't windows that everyone is on the same page(approximately)

it's okay that u don't want to help but U don't have to be a jerk about it , and i am also not expecting people like you to do anything for me , all u had to do is answer in respectable way, but still all you said is GOOGLE this i mean wow genius ,

I just don't want to spoil the decorum Here , so leave it at that

BTW

GOOGLED IT and still no Luck

1 Like

Big fat note ;- No need to pay heed to my messages after all i am a jerk
Sadely if it doesn't exist on Google, we won't know about it,(Excluding extreme arch development) because apparently we don't dream about stuff.
I dont understand where i "disrespected" you. I stated the facts. Dont expect spoonfeeding for itsy bitsy things. This isn't windows that we are gonna give you everything thats literally 1 google away.
No need to start raging. Talk like normal people.
If you think i am a jerk. then i am sorry someone else would probably help you because most of us are geniuses right? If i didn't want to help i wouldn't have replied in this topic at all. But there are far more complicated issues here than a dude asking for a "program" to do x task.
If you feel so disrespected when someone tells you to do your own homework. Then i am afraid to tell you Arch is not for you.
Wonder why did no one reply to you in 2 days? because you aren't putting effort into it.

And yes i even GOOGLED and found this
Enabling do not disturb in a script? : kde (reddit.com)
As i can see you are incapable to do so and expressing your anger on helpers.

Have a nice day. Peace out