Stuck loading initial ramdisk

Can't do this either because it says there is no space left on device. I'm totally stuck. :frowning:

Where do you get this error? It looks like a bootloader installation failure, as well. If this is true, then you are running in circles.

If you can save your data (or have a backup), it seems better to re-install the system.
In order to recover, it needs a lot of troubleshooting from an experienced user.

If this is introduced because of a bug in Garuda utilities, it would be helpful to find the real issue, so we can fix it. But a lot of patience and time is required.

2 Likes

Only backups I have are those snapshots. And none of them boot.

I really don't want to fall back to reinstalling the system. It takes so long to set everything back up again.

Maybe a stupid idea....
If the no space is related to the bootloader maybe
rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*
?

2 Likes

Now grub isn't working at all. I did nothing to it!

I'll try this if I can still chroot.

You don’t need to chroot for this to do the work. Just boot in the Installer/ISO and check/run in terminal.
Read more related info.
UEFI - Requirements_for_UEFI_Variables_support_to_work_properly - ArchWiki

2 Likes

Sorry, to have to say this, but I don't think you're up to the task of correcting this mess. @petsam is likely correct, a reinstall is probably your most likely fix option in this case.

Your assumption that timeshift is a backup system is incorrect. Timeshift is more of a system restore feature than a full backup system. It does not backup user data by default and is mostly for restoring system configuration.

Unfortunately as you have discovered timeshift cannot recover from all system boot failures. That is why users must implement their own full proper backup regime to another drive. Timeshift is handy, but snapshots are contained on the same drive, therefore they cannot be considered secure backups.

You need to try to recover your data (if possible), and consider this a life lesson as to why it is important to keep proper full up to date redundant backups.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but at this point all you can really do is recover your data and ensure this never happens again in the future.

3 Likes

I am not losing any data really, my home is on a separate partition. It just sucks to set up all the applications or services and what not all over again. Just because grub does not work.

How do you know that?
Have you done any serious troubleshooting and found the real problem?

Please, stop trolling!

If you want to go on with troubleshooting, start with providing hard facts so we may help you. Descriptions of what you think is going on are of no value… no offense. Have you ever read Garuda wiki instructions of how to ask for assistance and what you have to provide?

Or re-install.

2 Likes

That is great that your data is on a separate p partition, but again that is not a proper backup.

For a backup to be secure it needs to be redundant and stored on another drive (preferably external), across your network, to another computer, off site, or in the cloud.

Anything less and your data is at risk. Imaging your system is the best way to ensure that you can always boot your system without the need to reinstall. Of course that requires time and effort so almost no one does that, then we see them on the forum after disaster strikes looking for a fix.

4 Likes

This would've probably worked if the boot volume wasn't locked. I ended up reformatting the boot partition and reinstalled. At first it didn't allow the bootloader installation to finish and failed. Had to chroot at install + update the grub, which didn't work previously, go figure.

Thanks for the help and patience filo.

2 Likes

Ok so this issue repeats every time I try to update the system. I'm thinking my root partition is too small (it's only 30 gigs). I'm limiting snapshots to just 2 per day, but if that's not enough it's probably smartest for a noob like me to just reformat old efi, root and swap partitions, then reformat them so that root gets more than 30 gigs.

OP does not provide any requested info and keeps chatting with himself.
This is not a blog.