Stacer was the culprit | No System install date in garuda-inxi/ install date changes

Garuda, are you okay...?

Info:
Garuda (2.6.15-1):
  System install date:     
  Last full system update: 2023-03-13
  Is partially upgraded:   No
  Relevant software:       snapper NetworkManager dracut nvidia-dkms
  Windows dual boot:       Probably (Run as root to verify)
  Failed units:            systemd-vconsole-setup.service 

Prior to this, my system install date kept inching forward, so sometimes the install date would be later than the last full system update. This time, it decided to disappear... :rofl:

Does this mean... my system has existed since the beginning of time? :flushed: Or maybe, since it kept inching forwards, it's ascended beyond the plane of time?

3 Likes

LOL
That's weird though, the install date is extracted from the first line in /var/log/pacman.log.
That inching forwards makes me think, is there a size limit on that logfile and old entries are discarded?

3 Likes

wait, i think you're onto something...
I think my /var/log/pacman.log nuked itself. It's nowhere to be found :rofl:
I hope it wasn't accidentally removed by Stacer or something LOL

Nvm, Stacer indeed was the culprit! I didn't know pacman's log wasn't excluded by default :joy: lesson learned! I'm simply too aggressive with my cleaning. From now on, I'll leave those application logs alone unless they're really not needed lol

2 Likes

Thank you for splitting the topic, SGS! Helps others to search for it for sure :blush:

A small additional note for those who want their original install date back: just add it to the very beginning of /var/log/pacman.log in the same format as the other dates and times in there. You don't need to write any task-related thing after it, just the date will do.

My garuda-inxi now says 19-10-22, just as it always should have :relieved:

3 Likes

Now that’s what I’m talking about. :smiley:

Awesome! I got my install date back! Tnx mate!

Garuda (2.6.15-1):
System install date:     1682-05-15
Last full system update: 2023-03-12
Is partially upgraded:   No
Relevant software:       snapper NetworkManager dracut
Windows dual boot:       <superuser required>
Failed units:

:rofl:

3 Likes

Wow, you've been using Garuda since before the Industrial Revolution?! :exploding_head: teach me your ways!! :rofl:

3 Likes

No wukkas mate! :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.