SSD Life time concerns

Hello, I'm using Garuda on my Razer blade 2021 and I was wondering if I should deactivate the hibernation to extend my SSD's life.
Is it still true that hibernation damages the SSDs or today can be safely ignored?

Anyway how can I completely deactivate the hibernation, keeping the swap space?

For example the PC hibernate automatically when the battery is about to finish how that can be disabled?

For this question i think that garuda-inxi isn't necessary :sweat_smile:.

This is my OS drive for my aging desktop computer: SanDisk 2.5" 64GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SDSSDP-064G-G25 - Newegg.com

Using it since 2015, it still continues to serve me as we speak. SSDs are robust, especially yesteryear's MLCs vs today's TLCs. It will not die unless you write terabytes of data everyday.

3 Likes

To prolong the life of your SSD, you need to disable swap and hibernation on it, use zram. This is very bad for its lifetime. Also be sure to disable autodefrag and defrag and balance timers. At this point you should have autodefrag disabled in your fstab due to a regression in the linux 5.16 kernel, the garuda linux developers have already taken care of this (garuda-hotfixes)

1 Like

While the first two might be OK suggestions, IMO disabling the balance timers is not a good idea for most people. On some systems you will start to develop substantial performance degradation if not performing btrfs balance operations on a regular basis.

Today’s SSD drives are pretty robust and are not going to die prematurely from normal use. I still have 64 GB SSD’s that are a decade old working just fine.

8 Likes

So how can I completely deactivate the hibernation without removing swap space?

I would like to disable automatic hibernation on low battery and the option to hibernate from KDE power options.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.