Sound output confusion

I am having trouble getting sound output in Garuda. I have 2 outputs normally (ie: in Arch, EndeavourOS, and Xubuntu Rolling Rhino) and because I switch things with a KVM, I would like to be able to use HDMI as the output - so that the sound matches the system I'm currently 'on'.

For some as yet unknown reason, although awareness of its existence has been seen, it seems to be unselectable by any of the means I am familiar with. A cruise through the sound-related package list (on XFCE Ultimate) leaves me no idea where to start! Pavucontrol does not even see the HDMI side of things, regardless of any settings I can access. Here are the 2 relevant things as detected by lspci

08:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590]

0a:00.4 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio Controller

Any ideas where to start?

The final outcome would be best if I could default to HDMI output...

I see I have the same audio as you. I experienced a little audio flakiness while experimenting with my hdmi port being used. Audio drop out, no driver listed, other weirdness. I did a reinstall as I was looking for a perfect version for backup. The reinstall set things right.

I know that's the cop out method, but as I'd only just installed anyways it really wasn't a big loss.

I HOPE to avoid total re-install this time :grin: I was expecting to use my 'tactical nuke' option as I have for printing (remove all related packages, then re-install the packages in minimal order until it works) - but there are so many sound-related here that I'm not sure I can decipher it!

Actually it's amazing how much works just by installing things, rather than the 'install and configure' routine of yesteryear - so I guess I'll get there eventually...

2 Likes

I guess an update got it - as when I tried this evening to 'find' my HDMI audio (in pavucontrol), both were present! Setting the Configuration/Profile for 'Starship' to OFF also defaulted the output to HDMI, which was the outcome most wanted. I guess it's a solution!

2 Likes