[Solved] Updates not able to install ("The system partition has an unsupported subvolume layout")

Hello, can anyone help with this?
I am unable to install updates.
The terminal window shows the following code:

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
Refreshing extra.db...
Refreshing community.db...
Refreshing multilib.db...
Refreshing chaotic-aur.db...
Warning: hplip: ignoring package upgrade (1:3.20.9-1 => 1:3.20.9-2)
Warning: telegram-desktop: ignoring package upgrade (2.4.3-1 => 2.4.6-1)
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: nvidia-utils will be installed before its egl-wayland dependency
Warning: dependency cycle detected:
Warning: lib32-keyutils will be installed before its lib32-krb5 dependency
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...
Checking keyring...
Checking integrity...
Loading packages files...
Checking file conflicts...
Checking available disk space...
First run mode (config file not found)
Selected default snapshot type: RSYNC
Using system disk as snapshot device for creating snapshots in BTRFS mode
Mounted '/dev/sda9' at '/run/timeshift/backup'
E: The system partition has an unsupported subvolume layout. Only ubuntu-type layouts with @ and @home subvolumes are currently supported.

Application will exit.

Unable to run timeshift-autosnap! Please close Timeshift and try again. Script will now exit...
Error: command failed to execute correctly
Failed to commit transaction:
failed to run transaction hooks

Only btrfs filesystem is supported others filesytem are not supported

It looks like you chose rsync in timeshift
Set it to btrfs mode

sudo timeshift --btrfs
4 Likes

Done but after that running also when I create the command sudo pacman -Syu in which tells packages are up to date but are unable to upgrade as the terminal shows following error :
(1/3) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade…
Using system disk as snapshot device for creating snapshots in BTRFS mode

/dev/sda9 is mounted at: /run/timeshift/backup, options: rw,relatime

E: The system partition has an unsupported subvolume layout. Only ubuntu-type layouts with @ and @home subvolumes are currently supported.

Application will exit.

Unable to run timeshift-autosnap! Please close Timeshift and try again. Script will now exit…
error: command failed to execute correctly
error: failed to commit transaction (failed to run transaction hooks)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Thanx for now I have uninstalled timeshift and tried agin as I have made system partitions with ext4 scheme and now the task is completed succesfully.

You can’t update if Timeshift run, like librewish said “Only btrfs filesystem is supported others filesytem are not supported”

2 Likes

Well to be more exact you can use other files systems, but not for the partitions that your OS (Garuda) is installed on.

I just thought I'd clarify that a little bit so it wasn't taken out of context. I just don't want to see posts on reddit saying you can only use btrfs formatted drives with Garuda. :wink:

3 Likes

Definitely not the case. I re-installed Garuda with ALL ext4 partitions and it works very well (apart from sound issues - unrelated). Also removed grub for simplicity and time saving reasons (unneeded if not trying to boot into snapshots). It is a testamnet to how good the system is that one of its main features can be bypassed and yet leave one with an excellent build!

1 Like

From your reply I had a doubt
Does uninstalling timeshift uninstalls Grub also?
Please answer me as soon as you can because from the day of updating I have not power offed my pc and this is the case I will power of only after installing timeshift again.

There is no 'native' connection between the 2. I run Timeshift (on ext4 in rsync mode) - and I don't run grub - but I could. The 'interaction' is only that the btrfs setup includes timeshift instances showing up in grub at boot.

Removing EITHER will not affect the other - and neither needs to be removed to make changes to the file system.

Also I want to ask you how do you start your linux without grub?

I multi-boot (on multi-machines, too) so I switched rEFInd for all of them. This will give you an idea of how it looks/works on my main box:

and this for more info if you're multi-booting sometime:

https://endeavouros.com/docs/installation/how-to-install-refind/

Thanx................ Also there are 4os given on your boot screen may you like to tell me which these 4 are

Left to right, EndeavourOS, Arch, Xubuntu 20.04 (left over) and Garuda. You can select or create whatever you want for graphics (or even run it in text mode) so I guess I should update the Garuda logo :grin:

Too much purple :smiley:

rEFInd, does this work with Btrfs now?

Time it will :slight_smile: :wink:

I haven’t retried lately, so I can’t be sure. It WILL work with grub (ie: will boot the grub to handle loading - I know someone who triple-boots using rEFInd, each distro on its own drive, with its own grub (which doesn’t see the others BTW). I guess this is an advantage when you encrypt your btrfs, as it means grub can handle the decryption.

My problem with grub was the length of time it took to run a ‘regen’ (and the frequency!) - only to produce multiple unbootable entries, although I could probably just have killed off os-prober (or alternative) and gotten it to behave OK as a singleton.

As for the purple - I DO have worse backgrounds I could have used! :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, seems you have nothing import(end) to do there :smiley:

Again, IIRC, refind cant use the grub-snapshots, so, useless for me.

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
Me too :wink:

1 Like

Hopefully this clears up any difficulties here :grin:
(It was time for a change anyway, as noted...)

SMILE!

4 Likes

Na also, geht doch.
Wie meine Mutter immer zu sagen pflegt :smiley: .

An der Reihenfolge könnte man Arbeiten, als Zieleinlauf aber schon genau richtig :wink:

If it wasn’t for the purple and orange that would be a perfect picture. Not slagging EOS, but purple and orange are two of my least favorite of colour schemes, (add green in there as well).

The color scheme is almost always one of the first things to go on most distros I install.Although I find Garuda’s quite nicely done.

1 Like

Yes, these two colors do not harmonize with the logos. Best is a nice grey/black :wink:

2 Likes