[SOLVED] I'm a dumbo who messed up xdg-user-dirs

Title says it all. I was playing around with nnn file manager before removing it because none of the shift + key shortcuts were working for me (As someone below in the thread explained, this is because the shortcuts actually use ctrl + key). Well, I remember that I accidentally did something with a file in the xdg-user-dirs folder, and as a result none of the "default" directories (Desktop, Pictures, Videos etc) are recognized as folders anymore, lucky that I had no data on them!
I then attempted to RTFM but after updating that local config file (global looks ok already), and running xdg-user-dirs-update, it's still the same state. I'd gladly appreciate any help! This error was caused purely by my foolishness, so if it's not right for the forums please take it down and I won't post such things again. Thanks!

Timeshift is your friend.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I neglected its friendship :sob: I set number of periodic snaps to keep to "last 2" and now all my snapshots are after the mess-up. Oh well, at least I (hopefully) learned and will keep more snapshots next time

1 Like

From man xdg-user-dirs-update:

Maybe try that to reset the values?

4 Likes

Thank you! This worked. Looks like I wasn't RTFMing hard enough x)

I was playing around with nnn file manager before removing it because none of the shift + key shortcuts were working

nnn doesn't have any Shift key other than 'G'. If you are referring to the '^' character in the help screen it stands for the 'Ctrl' key (caret notation) - Control key - Wikipedia

Please rectify this in your original post as the statement is completely misguiding for users who are not familiar with nnn. It is an excellent file manager.

3 Likes

Noted! It seemed to be shift in most videos about it I watched, and I assumed there was something wrong with my system to make it not work, not nnn in general. Will edit post

See... there's yer problem. Youra doin yer learnin from those namby pamby new fangled YouTube confabulations. Go git yerself some book learin instead there Sonny Jim.

:wink:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.