Save as root in Kate

Hi there :slight_smile:

I am coming from KaOS, and they implement a way that asks the user for its password, when Kate detects that you have no right to save a file or document.

That is especially convenient, when you like to create a file on the fly in a protected area, without hitting the command line.

I think it runs trough kauth & polkit :smiley:

I think this is standard in KDE and Kate.

5 Likes

And you're asking what? I ask cause SGS is correct, open say pacman.conf in Kate, make your changes, click close, click save when it pops up, and you will be asked to enter your password to be able to save the file with your edits.

DO NOT DO THE ABOVE UNLESS YOU NEED TO. IT'S AN EXAMPLE ONLY.

Well, its NOT in my Kate on Garuda.

Idk why, maybe because I opened to file via command line maybe.

Thanks

Which DE are you using? That is definitely part of default functionality of kate.

4 Likes

KDE

I try to reproduce.

I am not on my computer now and btrfs broke my entire install last week, so i have to setup everything from scratch

Lets try this where in the file system are you when you’re accessing the doc? If it’s not under root you won’t be asked.

You mean when accessing an external storage device?

Since everything is under root otherwise

:face_with_monocle:

Clearly, he meant “needing root permission to write”.

Also, an external device is no different as it would also need to mounted somewhere in the filesystem.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.