RTL8821CE - Wifi keeps disconnecting

If you can assure me that this problem will not persist if I just make it as my main OS on SSD. Then I can go with garuda .

If you are daul booting can i assume you do not have this problem with windows\other distro?
Does it do it when running the live Os?

1 Like

Try this:

Backup your grub config file:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak 

Then edit /etc/default/grub and add pci=noaer to the end of the following line (between the quote marks) so that it resembles:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0 systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 loglevel=3 pci=noaer"

After adding the boot parameter and saving your changes, run:

sudo update-grub 

Reboot

For the rtw88-dkms-git driver to work you will also likely need to blacklist rtw88_8821ce .

Create a file named /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ce.conf

Add the following contents to that file:

blacklist rtw88_8821ce

Save the conf file and reboot.

This will blacklist the default Realtek driver module that is included in the kernel which should enable the out of kernel rtw88-dkms-git driver to work for you.

Hopefully that will improve things for you.

2 Likes

Yaa works fine in windows even in live OS.

Thanks a lot. This seems to work. Working fine for the last 15 minutes.
:grinning:

3 Likes

Sorry to bother you again.
But the same issue is back.

Did you disable IPv6?

If not, you can disable IPv6 in your router settings, in Network Manager for your connection, or via a kernel boot parameter. I have given the boot parameter for disabling IPv6 below.

How frequently is your connection dropping now?

Is your computers BIOS up to date?

Enable Network Manager's debugging mode with the following command:

echo -e "[logging]\nlevel=DEBUG" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-defaults.conf

This will give you a far more in depth logging.

The command below will output a live log detailing your network's current activities:

Open a live Network Manager debuggingl log session:

journalctl -fu NetworkManager 

Let the command run in the terminal, logging all current network activities:

Log at least 50-100 lines of output around times when your connection has failied.

Post any important looking excerpts from the log (especially failure events).

If there is more than one AP in your vicinity (or you have a dual-band AP with a single SSID) this can result in dropped connections.

Your connection can be lost because of constant scanning by Network Manager, and confusion over which AP to connect with.

To eliminate this possibility you can lock your WiFi connection profile to the BSSID of your favored access point in Network Manager.

You can do this in Network Manager's "Wi-Fi" tab in your connection's properties settings.

There is a "BSSID" drop down field where you can select and lock your Wi-Fi to a single BSSID.

Have you restarted your router?

Is your router firmware up to date?

You can test setting your router to only use the 2.4 GHz band to see if your connectivity improves. Not all routers support this.

Your router may support the following bandwidths, 20MHz, 40MHz, 80MHz, and 160MHz. Test setting different bandwidths, a lower bandwidth may result in better connectivity (at the cost of lowering speed).

Assigning a fixed channel in your router may also help with this dropped connections. Try to select a channel with the least interference when setting a fixed channel. There are free Wi-Fi analyzing apps you can install on your cell phone to help determine which may be the best channel to use.

Sometimes it is necessary to reset your router back to the factory default configuration to correct connectivity issues. Your current configuration can be backed up to a file in case you may wish to restore your current settings. Often users think this is all unnecessary because their other devices work fine with their router. This is not always the case as a single device may experience issues with your router that others do not. Sometimes a factory reset is the only method that helps to correct this.

In addition to adding pci=noaer as a grub boot parameter you may also want to add pcie_aspm=off and ipv6.disable=1. These boot parameters have been helpful in correcting dropped connections in many cases in the past.

If you haven't done so already you could test the alternate driver version for the rtl8821ce from the AUR. Perhaps it will work better for you (although the your current driver is the one that often works best and it is prebuilt).

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rtl8821ce-dkms-git/

This driver will likely also require the blacklist file which you have already created.

I know this is a very long list of suggestions, but please go through the list methodically providing feedback (or posting outputs) for each one. Without confirmation it is almost impossible to remotely troubleshoot a complex issue effectively. We are already approaching 30 posts on this thread, and missing one suggestion could result in much wasted effort. I have been involved in WiFi support threads that have gone well over 100 posts long because the user asking for help missed performing an important step way back at the beginning. We want to avoid that happening here..

3 Likes