[RTL8111H] Network Driver Issues

Base Board Information
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Product Name: PRIME B450M-A

B450M-A from ASUS uses RTL8111H

08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8677
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 24, IOMMU group 17
I/O ports at f000 [size=256]
Memory at fcb04000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at fcb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 01
Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=4 Masked-
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 01-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00
Capabilities: [170] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Capabilities: [178] L1 PM Substates
Kernel driver in use: r8169
Kernel modules: r8169

I haven't had this issue in the past. But, I am only getting 85Mbps out of this chip right now. My ARM board connects to my windows machine @ almost 1 gig.

☁  ~  iperf -c 192.168.1.8 -p 5201
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.8, TCP port 5201
TCP window size:  816 KByte (default)
   [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0- 7.9 sec   885 MBytes   938 Mbits/sec

But, from my workstation running Garuda -

❯ iperf -c 192.168.1.8 -p 5201
Client connecting to 192.168.1.8, TCP port 5201
TCP window size:  162 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.9 port 38510 connected with 192.168.1.8 port 5201
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   114 MBytes  95.6 Mbits/sec

and to my ARM board-

❯ iperf -c 192.168.1.2
Client connecting to 192.168.1.2, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  178 KByte (default)
[  3] local 192.168.1.9 port 59588 connected with 192.168.1.2 port 5001
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   113 MBytes  94.7 Mbits/sec

What I've tried

I attempted to use the Garuda settings to to install the 8168 driver, and that left me with no internet. So I went ahead an (in a rush because my daughters were watching a movie on my 2nd monitor) did a Timeshift restore. Now I had a bunch of extra entries in my grub menu that weren't there prior. It'd be nice if someone could direct me in the right direction for removing those, too.

Thanks.

What changed?

2 Likes

distro that I run on this rig

That's a lot of potential changes - kernel, driver, init, DNS client, userland, ...

1 Like

I went ahead and purchased another NIC after I tried the r8168-dkms. It's just not worth the time or hassle. They need to stop using this chip, though.

1 Like

I am getting on my grub- Garuda linux on /dev/nvme0n1p2 - and advanced options for the dev. What's the best way to get rid of that back to normal options. The btrfs + timeshift with grub is confusing to me.

Use a distribution that use things that not confused you.

Maybe you should write a better wiki and people won't ask questions.

Lmao. Pay me and ill write a better wiki, sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It's not my project. The distro is cool. But, for someone like myself who is only an end-user and a not a developer (a term I use lightly) like you guys, this stuff can be rather confusing. You've gotten a pretty good amount of attention from "Linux" YouTube content creators, and that's going to bring you a pretty good amount of people like myself. People who are merely users, not power users or developers such as yourselves. So when your "distro" by default employs methods of implementation that are not standard to other distro's that people have used in the past, it may make sense to include at least a little bit of information about that on the wiki. Alternatively, if people ask a question on your forum about things you have not explained in your wiki, it may make sense to not tell them to basically F*&^ off. Just a thought. I came here with no ill-will.

Why include things in the wiki that are already described in detail and perfectly in the Arch Wiki?

By the way, you should rethink your choice of words.

2 Likes

Alright, there are however a lot of people who mean this exactly that way.
It gets tiring to hear such things from people who never even think about contributing what they request themselves :confused:

3 Likes

Done

It's all good. I learned a lot from Garuda. A word of advice though- take the forum less seriously. You're going to get people who aren't as seasoned as you when you have such a feature rich and good looking pre-packaged setup, like you do. And people will bring their habits with them.

Usually there should be a list of articles, how isnt yours having this. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No one is told to F off here. If they ask a question of a very basic nature, or one that has been asked many times before they may be told to consult the Arch wiki or perform a more thorough search and post back if they have no luck. That is a far cry from being told to F off, and is a direct result of all the users following some youtube video to our doorstep. We feel it is our obligation at Garuda to forge competent Linux users, not to simply enable Windows Lemmings to install Linux.

The stampede of YouTube followers has forced us to reevaluate how to best allocate our meager support resources. Inexperienced users are welcome here, but they are also expected to do some work and learning for themselves. We are a brand new distro, we do not have an extensive wiki simply for that reason. The other reason for that is, because we track Arch Linux so closely almost all the information contained in their spectacular Wiki is directly applicable to Garuda. Why would we want to replicate their information on our wiki when the effort required would be massive and it's already been compiled on the unparalleled Archwiki already.

Providing adequate documentation is one thing that almost every project struggles with. Firstly, because it is a thankless task that no one but a chartered accountant would find interesting, and secondly because it is a never ending chore. Most Wiki information once documented requires constant updating to keep it current. So, feel free to request a Wiki editing account and update away till your hearts content.

However, this is generally way too much effort for most people to ever feel inclined to do so. Especially as it's far easier to use the output of a completely free project and then complain about how its not meeting your expectations. Fortunately, there's cure for that as there's hundreds of other alternative distros in the Linux world. Simply find one that meets your expectations, rather than complaining about one that doesn't.

This may be 100% true, but that does not mean we need to be accepting or accommodating towards their bad habits they've acquired from their years of using M$ or Apple products. Those coming to the Linux world need to learn how to do things the Linux way, not the reverse. You sound like someone who moves to a new country, yet expects the entire population there to cater to you in your native language instead of spending some effort to lean theirs.

Not gonna happen, at least not in Garuda land.

2 Likes