Rolling distros give you a sense of accomplishment

What did you do today?
I updated my computer. Three times.

3 Likes

Updated 6 Linux and 1 Windows system today.
Bar is now open. :beer:

5 Likes

I usually update my rolling distro 1-4x per month tops. . .

2 Likes

I update so frequently that my system has a timer: if I don't update within 5 minutes of boot, it tells me "why are you mad at me today?" :blush:

(The truth is, I update once a week or if I need to install something).

7 Likes

Every day as soon as 1st boot the system, :yawning_face:

2 Likes

Several times a day, though I'm trying (but mostly failing) to check the updates in a VM first to catch most of the conflicts/issues that may arise (not all because of the (virtual) hardware difference),

3 Likes

This is like having chips without ketchup though... :blush:

4 Likes

Exactly, virtual chips have virtual sharp edges, so don't draw blood when you handle them badly :smirk:

/me wonders what percentage of folks'll get that abstraction.

E2A: It's actually like Tofu chips with ketchup. Sure, it negates several problems, but at the expense of suffering additional problems (caused by VM which may mislead me into believing there's a conflict that isn't actually there on bare metal).

2 Likes

I love updating Garuda. What I do is running Pamac compulsively to see if there are any updated packages. When so happens, I read their description, because I learn stuff by doing so. Then I update using the System Update option of the Garuda Assistant. Afterwards I tend to reboot. If something breaks, I roll back to a previous snapshot and I search the wikis the duckduckgos and the forums for a solution.

3 Likes

I update whenever I think of it--daily, weekly, whatever. Usually do a bit of reading first. (Maybe why I have had so few problems over the years.)

I agree with the topic, though. Rolling distributions do seem to provide a modicum of accomplishment. Except possibly to users who seem to install every release, as if it were required.

8 Likes

I update once in morning
(Generally when my online class starts, so that i can get away from school by pretending that internet is slow, because I believe and it is also true that i learn more by my own self rather than spending time in that virtual class where nobody even cares to reply the teacher, because he is also not interested in teaching us :expressionless:)

3 Likes

I can't disagree with that.

I didn't want to believe it at the time either.

You learn to learn in order to advance yourself, not for school.
Because only what moves you forward is what counts.

6 Likes

I update everyday
I am so so disappointed when there isn't any!!! :smiley:
I have to keep trying till there are!!!! :smiley:
I think i have Rolling update syndrome :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

12 Likes

What I love with Garuda Linux and rolling distros in general is the perpetual update.

There is no discontinued date, there is no need to decide to upgrade install or clean install once the discontinued date is reached. I just install once, configure once and save an image of the system for future roll-out.

3 Likes

It took me many years to discern what baffled child psychologists for years. Learning how to learn--how best you learn--is a worthwhile pursuit. I wish I had learned that lesson much earlier than I did, somewhere in my 50s.

Good for you, @Ankur. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please create a new topic an elaborate. I would love to read the whole story.

Also worthy of a new topic: how do you learn stuff other than reading and watching videos/lectures and then practicing? Is there something I am missing and I will not find out until my death bed?

Nah, I'd rather read, practice, and learn more about Linux.
:slight_smile:

EDIT:

Fail, then fail again. Keep doing so until it stops. Invest yourself in whatever you pursue. :slight_smile:

3 Likes
You learn to learn in order to advance yourself

Well said !!!:relaxed:

2 Likes

I learn best with a glass of tequila.

I never learn anything if my wife had to tell me first though.

8 Likes

When you know you probably shouldn't pacman -Syu, but do it anyway...

"Oops, I did it again, I played with your hard drive, got lots of updates, ooh yay yay, yay yay."

5 Likes