Required installation of additional packages to fix MFX_ERROR_NOT_FOUND in OBS

Hello together,

I fixed another issue that I had. This time with OBS. The pre-installed packages did not suffice to make it work. I first installed OBS with the Garuda Setup Assistant (quite a pleasant tool actually) almost one year ago but only tested it now. When I wanted to record gameplay footage (using Mic audio, Desktop output Audio (PulseAudio) and Screen Capture as sources) I got an error message. The logs (as found in ~/.config/obs-studio/logs/) mention an error “MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND” when initializing driver stuff I guess.

12:20:34.425: [qsv encoder: 'simple_video_recording'] debug info:
12:20:34.445: Failed to initialize MFX
12:20:34.445: [qsv encoder: 'msdk_impl'] Specified object/item/sync point not found. (MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND)

My Notebook uses a TigerLake intel CPU (11th gen), it’s not too old. Hardware QVS was set in the general settings for video capture encoding.

As I figured out, the installed VPL package (the libvpl package) was for hardware that is newer than my 11th Gen intel CPU (Alder Lake and above).

What I did:

[2024-03-08T12:39:23+0100] [ALPM] installed onevpl-intel-gpu (24.1.3-1)
[2024-03-08T13:12:49+0100] [ALPM] removed libvpl (2.10.2-1)
[2024-03-08T13:12:49+0100] [ALPM] installed intel-media-stack-bin (1:23.4.3-1)

I was hesitant first to remove an already installed package but it was the right decision as it seems to be for newer hardware. I closed OBS. Opened it again. Choosing XSHM for video capture shows me footage preview (PipeWire doesn’t) and recording works right away.

At least this is an option to try, if anyone gets the same error with not too old intel CPUs (I think Kaby Lake and above).

Cheers

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.