Recommended VPN Software and VPN Provider?

Black Friday sale at a good price. Seems to work well–good selection of fast overseas VPNs. Use it at boot and in my browsers, Windows & Linux clients, yadayada. It was #2 on the list of current “Best Of” I read and was feelin’ kind of, um, “hampered” by ISP restrictions, etc.

We’ll see. As long as there’s no take-downs & violations coming from my ISP I’ll be happy.

You know, one of the major things that attracted me to Linux in the first place was when I had my first successful install of Slackware, asked the folks in forums what Malware and Virus protection I needed to add and they laughed at me. That was a taste of the freedom Linux offers.

But nowadays I also need to run Windows simply to get 1080p streaming movies/series in various places (Netflix, Prime, HBOMax, AMC+) and I like to get what I pay for, ergo I mostly had the Windows environment in mind when I purchased a 2-year subscription at a Black Friday discounted price.

But it also has excellent Linux clients in Arch as well.

I love being able to swap VPNs at a click. :wink:

3 Likes

OMG the tier plans are horrendous for some of these well known VPN services.

Do you have to create an account with Surfshark in order to see where you can import OVPN file?

I'm not a member but came across it last night. Will take another look again and post the link here.

1 Like

You have two options with Surfshark, use their app or set it up manually. To set it up manually see this guide.

As a sidenote, you should setup your VPN connections manually if possible. Providers can add features in their apps to slow connections, or whatever. If you connecting it manually through the desktop, it sidelines a lot of these features.

With that said, there have been issues with Arch and OpenVPN connections lately, works for some people, others (like me) not so much.

More from Surfshark;

2 Likes

This will get you all the ovpn bins for all countries. But you will need to have an account to use them.
Open terminal and go to the directory you want to put them in and copy and paste the line below.

wget https://my.surfshark.com/vpn/api/v1/server/configurations
2 Likes

That’s the issue I’m having. No ETA on fixes at the moment.

1 Like

None that I have found. I had to switch to an L2TP type VPN connection. Not sure if it is less secure, thinking it is, but it works and well for now.

2 Likes

Running Arch, ArchLabs and Garuda all with OpenVPN and ovpn bins. No issues here on any on them. Should of added as well openSUSE Tumbleweed, Fedora and Debian SID.

2 Likes

Try warp-cli

It is free of cost and well supported on Linux. Though, it is a proxy server instead of an actual vpn.

Have a look

It's available on AUR.
I prefer it over an actual vpn, because it is faster, at least on my device.
Plus it is cloudflare product, so it can be surely trusted.

4 Likes

PS: If you still want an actual VPN, windscribe was the one I used before warp.

2 Likes

For now, but their plans are to switch to an “affordable” pay option for the future.

1 Like

NordVPN is my current favorite as well. This guy has created a script to convert the Nord OpenVPN config files to Wireguard ones (since Wireguard is currently not officially supported), which works great with my new router (Flint) : GitHub - sfiorini/NordVPN-Wireguard: A bash scripts that generates Wireguard configuration file for a NordVPN connection.. I like the iOS app as well, allowing me to always use VPN when on 4G, while whitelisting specific Wifi networks.

Other VPNs I've used and liked a lot: IVPN, OVPN & ExpressVPN.

2 Likes

I strongly second Mullvad! I've been a fan for a long time now. Never had any issues at all on Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, or Mac. They list the providers in a chart here if you do any 'peer to peer activities', so you can cherry-pick your preference: Servers | Mullvad VPN. Their app is also fully open source (:heart:) GitHub - mullvad/mullvadvpn-app: The Mullvad VPN client app for desktop and mobile and available on Chaotic-AUR.

You may also want to look carefully though this list:

3 Likes

Surfshark install method answered here:

I do not recommend or endorse the service.

2 Likes

Yeah, but as far as I know cloudflare guys, they will make sure to keep open a free plan, that will cost nothing, but has limited features.
A WARP+ plan will be introduced with more functionalities.

But who knows what's going on in their mind.
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think I got a similar deal, it was two years for like ninety bucks or something. It has been pretty good I think. The Nordlynx mode runs over WireGuard so it’s plenty fast and having so many servers up globally is nice.

Other than the Android client I’ve only ever used it in the terminal, but the commands are simple enough and everything comes up in help queries if you forget a command or syntax.

Once I spent a good thirty minutes troubleshooting my network connection–I just couldn’t get on my LAN, couldn’t connect to the internet, it was the weirdest thing…then finally I realized I had forgotten to nordvpn set killswitch off before shutting down my computer the night before. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Oh I am not endorsing cloudflare, just addressing the OpenVPN + Arch connection side of it. I don't really know much about them.

1 Like

The problem with that Warp is as you mentioned before, it's not a VPN, but a proxy. For any activity that must be private, it doesn't help because it sends your real IP as a header in all requests. This allows anywhere using CloudFlare to get your real IP with 0 effort. Source and further detail: https://community.cloudflare.com/t/warp-bug-a-website-is-logging-my-isp-ip-number-despite-i-am-browsing-with-warp-activated/377603/4 + HTTP request headers · Cloudflare Fundamentals docs

If you are just using it as a basic proxy to improve speed and get around routing issues, there isn't much concern.

7 Likes

I use PIA (Private Internet Access) on all my Linux installs and have never had a problem with it.
It is one of the cheapest and no black helicopters have landed in my front yard yet. :laughing:

3 Likes