Recent update destroyed KDE and now I can't boot. Help!

Its fine. I just have one question. Do I need to somehow mount /home as well to install linux-lts? I am trying to rule out the possibility of this being a kernel issue

1 Like

I don't think so.
You can install kernel from TTY easily.

1 Like

Alright. I am going to install linux-lts

2 Likes

Btw, you should change the title because chrooting is not the actual problem.

1 Like

Ok, I am just really tired

1 Like

Btw, here is similar topic.

1 Like

I checked it out. The problem is that I reinstalled garuda and now I don't have the downgraded version of sddm. Reinstalling didnt help as the problem is probably in the /home directory and I don't want to lose all my data

1 Like

Live boot and backup your data first.

2 Likes

I installed linux-lts and I am going to boot with it just to verify that it is not a linux-zen issue

1 Like

Is deleting the entire ~/.config directory safe? Those configs would be regenerated right? I can't boot in even by using the lts kernel

1 Like

Can I somehow change my login screen from sddm to something else?

1 Like

You can get the current default configs with cp -rf /etc/skel/* ~
To clarify, did you try to downgrade SDDM? (sudo downgrade sddm)

You could as well just disable sddm (sudo systemctl disable --now sddm) and login to tty, then type startx to start the session manually

5 Likes

No, I will try downgrading

1 Like

Well I downgraded to 19.0.03 and the same issue arises. I can't even get to a tty

1 Like

Trying to disable sddm gives an error saying that System has not been booted with systemd as init system and writing cp -rf /etc/skel/* ~ gives error saying no such file or directory

1 Like

We have to do something about SDDM, try putting a warning up that tells people not to upgrade. Or something like that.

Can't I switch from SDDM to lighdm or gdm3?

1 Like

Are you able to get to a tty?

Nope but I have chrooted from a live usb

1 Like

Try

sudo pacman -S lightdm
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
1 Like