RANT: Reduce the default packages in Garuda

You have installed the gaming version and are surprised that games are installed.

4 Likes

…yes. I would expect things like utilities, the alternate kernel, OBS, etc that make playing the games I actually play more convenient/performant/etc. Just installing random games I don’t think is very appealing to most people looking into a gaming edition, even if offering a quick menu of free FOSS games is probably worthwhile. People on Linux looking at a gaming edition are probably expecting performance tweaks out of the box and things like replay sorcery, not 0 AD preinstalled when they don’t even like strategy games. Hell, again I wasn’t even aware Minetest was still on my computer, how am I supposed to be playing a game I’m not aware is on my install?

Like of the things that are probably 100% bloat, I think the games are a specific enough thing to not install without the user explicitly ticking a checkbox naming that specific game by name. I honestly had figured that would be a bug, as presenting a user with a checklist of utlities to install and then installing stuff that wasn’t checked anyways is misleading.

It's hopeless, how can you please everyone without screaming free beer for all?

Even then some will come and say, no champagne?

As one said so nicely to @librewish in another forum, if you don't like what we do here, open your own forum and make your own distribution.

Here we are now and let you muck around with what we like. :smiley:

8 Likes

@Helmic, you are being presumptuous without the benefit of being knowledgeable, which weakens any argument you make.

For the benefit of everyone else... please allow me to make the observation that any of us running Garuda, are running the Garuda developers own desktops. They made it for their own benefit, not necessarily ours.

And we have the unmitigated gall to bitch?

6 Likes

I'm not really trying to bitch? I'm not trying to be hostile at all, but like I think there is a mismatch between what the setup assistant is implying (that only what you check will be installed) and what happens (a lot of games get preinstalled). In a thread about "bloat" I had assumed that would be a relevant concern. Sorta like how one doesn't really expect VLC Player to come with a selection of indie films, the media itself is usually chosen by the user.

Am I being confused for a previous poster here?

No.

Solution is very simple, use

Garuda Linux Barebones

Garuda Linux Barebones is made for users who do not want extra software and functionalities and complain about bloat. It contains only the bare minimum of packages needed to get started. (You are on your own, we dont provide any support for Barebones editions!)

I find this discussion absolutely pointless.
It all goes round in circles and leads nowhere.

5 Likes

I would like you to prove that claim please. I’m pretty sure that this doesn’t happen at all. :eyes:

4 Likes

If you want to know what else is preinstalled, open the program launcher in full screen mode. :grin:

4 Likes

Had you read to the end of the thread you’d have seen that the thread had moved on from complaining about it to doing something about it.

If you compile a list of software that you don’t think should be included in an edition then you can post it somewhere for review.

However, “bloat” hardly applies when talking about default software that ties directly to the aims of a specific edition. The “games” edition includes a selection of games by default. If that is “bloat” then a multimedia production edition shouldn’t include production software by default?

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 12 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.