Quick rundown on Garuda Welcomer

Sooo... I was wondering if anyone has got the time to explain to me what the features on the last page of the Garuda Welcomer do. I played around with some of them earlier and it bunked my installation, so I am not touching them again (for now :laughing:). I am only interested in the features I mention down below so for you techies it probably sounds like a stupid question.

I'm kinda new to the whole Linux thing, so please keep it simple :sweat_smile:

1. From what I can understand, SMB service is related to samba but what exactly does this 'Server Message Block' do?
  2. NMB service is related to NetBIOS - which, in poor terms, allows for the communication of application between different computers in a LAN, right?
  3. evdev-rce service?

-Many thanks!

They're both part of the protocol that Windows uses for file sharing among other things. So, yes. Samba.
So, that's why they're in the Samba section....right?
If you want to know inside stuff about the protocol, google is indeed your friend..it's all out there.
Evdev is a touchscreen service..don't really know anything else.

2 Likes

Not sure how changing the Samba defaults could bork your install. I have used the welcome app to disable Samba before (as I do not use Windoze).

As for the evdev setting I do not use a laptop so I can't say.

I hope when you say you bunked your installation you do not mean that you had to reinstall. That is the single biggest positive with Garuda, you should almost never need to reinstall. Simply roll your system back to a point before a problem occurred. That is why the distro has gone to great lengths to ensure Timeshift can restore your system to a good preexisting configuration without needing to reinstall.

4 Likes

Yeah, I used google to get the answers. But I wanted it "dumbed down" because I don't know the technical jargon too well.

I think what did it was that I enabled GDM Wayland. Anyways, yes, I just rolled back to an earlier snapshot and I was good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well truely, this is how you learn...go forth and break things.

2 Likes

Indeed it is! I don't care that much if I break an install or two because it is pretty fun to try and fix thins. I must, however, admit that if you break it beyond repair, it isn't fun :laughing:

Iirc you arent running GNOME, right? This is intended to work on GNOME only and might break other things. Might need to include a note telling this :thinking:
edit: added the GNOME notice @librewish :slight_smile:

Always keep a backup partition ready for that case to keep data, you can reinstall then without losing anything if you like tinkering :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Small SSD's can be purchased as cheaply as $20 these days. I can purchase an SSD for my OS and two for backups for aprox $60. It's impossible to break your OS if you clone your boot drive to redundant backup drives.

With those type of prices there's really no excuse for not having a backup system in place these days.

3 Likes

The only problem with that is…I see free disk space…and what else could I use it for? I have about 10 TB on my desktop, consumed by various distros and files. Never underestimate an information hoarder’s ability to consume disk space. Yes my bad, but I imagine there might be other people like me in the world. Discipline, what’s that ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes I am a data hoarder as well. I have several 10 TB drives and also a good collection of smaller older ones. The key component for a great backup system as far as the OS goes is a 4 or 6 bay hot swap dock that fits in a single 5.25 in drive bay.

You can swap OS's in the time it takes to reboot and cloning from one drive to another is super easy with a hot swap rack. To clone properly you should really do it off line, but I've DD'ed from a running system and not had issues. That's just being super lazy though.

Hot swapping is the best advancement in computing to come along ever IMO. I used to do case mods and wire in power interrupt switches for my hard drives to avoid mulibooting in the old days. Now there's no excuse for multibooting when an SSD is almost as cheap as burger and fries dinner.

4 Likes

I'm not really the hardware expert, can you give me a link/ptr/etc to a good (and affordable) hot swap dock? Maybe I need some new hardware for Black Friday.

Icydock makes good hot swap racks.

2 Likes